What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovered items...

Nismosonic

look at this : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHTDGSUfQ0&feature=related"]YouTube- Hinterlassenschaft des WW2[/ame]

Quite a few of these short films are to be found on youtube... there is one where a Russian bloke digs up a tellermine.. has a quick look at it and throws it on ground about 6 feet.
Enjoy.

Sorry if I placed this in wrong area... :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

:tinysmile_shy_t:hi Nismosonic
im getting my spade out just for the helmets and medels you understand ????
armystuff.

I've always found the foreign dealers selling dug up dog tags, medals, decorations and personal effects rather distasteful, I think its what used to be called grave robbing....

Quatermass

P.S. Each of those items could be used to help identify a body, with the items removed then the corpse will remain 'missing in action'.

Last edited:
I agree with you Quatermass.

I've been to the individual crash sites of four different B-24 bombers.

Three crewed by Americans, and one crewed by Australians.

I believe only a total of three men survived from these four planes.

I've seen plenty of items scattered around on the ground that some collectors would love to have in their displays.

And this is where the collecting fraternity gets split into two.

There are those collectors who would take items from these sites with the full knowledge that the men all died.

And then there are those who take in the whole picture and respect it as a war grave, sacred ground.

I fall into the latter category.

Invest

Last edited:
wrecks and relics

:tinysmile_shy_t: hi guys
i seem to have opened a can of worms here .
i was not looking at the big picture only tunnel vision when i saw the medals and helmets .
i did not want to mention digging up the shells as i have stopped this ?
my next post would have been on verdun and the somme but i thing butterflies at the botanic gardens insted.
sorry guys :tinysmile_kiss_t4:
regards armystuff .

Last edited:
You could also say that archeologists are grave robbers as well, instead they are lauded over and have awards bestowed on them for discovery. And they are not averse to selling off stuff to finance their other digs. Don't be too critical of these people, people are digging other people up all the time in the name of science. I watched a show that had them digging up a cemetary in the middle of London for some reason or other, isn't this the same??

Just my thoughts
Iain

hi panther1
i can see your point mate but i think the others were meaning that people take relic artifacts that could identify the dead soldier and there family could be contacted to where they had fallen in battle ?
i agree with this .
but when it comes to military artifacts like shell casses and bayonets helmets etc that are found scattered all over the battlefields .
with no reference to the individual then i think its fair game for the collector .
but im sure some relic collectors dont give a shit for the soldier they only thing of there collection or the money ?
Armystuff
PS hope thats me in the good books now :tinysmile_tongue_t:

You could also say that archeologists are grave robbers as well, instead they are lauded over and have awards bestowed on them for discovery. And they are not averse to selling off stuff to finance their other digs. Don't be too critical of these people, people are digging other people up all the time in the name of science. I watched a show that had them digging up a cemetary in the middle of London for some reason or other, isn't this the same??

Just my thoughts
Iain

I dont think you can seriously compare professional archaeologists with relic hunters? Archaeology is a science, its allows us to learn about are past, about how people lived and died. What does a chap who removes identifying material from a body teach us? As far as I can tell it teaches us that he doesnt give a damn about the corpse or there family.

Digging of bodies for science and knowledge can never be compared with digging for profit or greed.

It can never be justified to strip a body of its effects, so they can never be given a grave with a headstone and the honours they deserve, regardless of there nationality or the cause that they fought for.

Quatermass.