What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red "X"'s on the No. 69 grenades...

clancey2651

Is there any evidence that these "X"'s were ever hand painted, or were they always stencilled on?

I am refurbishing one of these grenades, and having a very difficult time finding anything that will work for the X markings around the top of the grenade.

I'm sure I've seen photos of very bored looking women spending their day in factories hand painting the red crosses around the collars of grenades.

I cut an X from an old pencil eraser which made a great rubber stamp.
I painted some thick red paint onto a piece of card then pressed the rubber X into it then onto the gren body. It worked just fine.
Paul.

I now own 36 no 69s...only one has the Red X's..they are hand painted on above the "ribs"..the others have either a round WHITE or Green circle on them with the Letter LYD in red in the center.

Dean

Last edited:
heres one of my 69's which has all original markings. the red X's look hand painted to me.
paul.

Attachments

• Page3No69mk1.jpg
    Page3No69mk1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 45
Hi, this is what i used i made my own stamp out of foam
Andy

Attachments

• P1020958.jpg
    P1020958.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 38
  • P1020959.jpg
    P1020959.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
my No69's

Here's a few pics of my No 69 grenades. I have had the black one for years and the middle aussie brown one for about a year and have just picked up the other brown one which even has the retaining tape mark still on it. Enjoy

Attachments

• no 69 gren x 3.jpg
    no 69 gren x 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 31
  • no 69 color 1.jpg
    no 69 color 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 34
  • no 69 color 2.jpg
    no 69 color 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 31
  • no 69 color 3.jpg
    no 69 color 3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for showing mate and a nice find i do like the No 69 you don't see many of the brown ones come up for sale these days.
Andy