What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejected #80

Gspragge

Premium Member
found this or whats left of it.

Missing the two time rings, though if some on has one of these that was lamped and the rings are good this could be saved. Interesting to see the reject mark on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 59
Very interesting. Were these dug? if so there may be more.
John

Humm, I recall having a No80 series fuze with the exact same "REJECT" stamping, but was complete with the time rings.

This poses an interesting question - if these were factory rejects (QA), why would they bother actually stamping the fuze, rather than just throwing it back into the brass pot (perhaps unable due to strict military manufacturing procedures) or just bin them? Perhaps the obvious answer to the latter is so they do not become mixed up with the non-rejected ones.....

Perhaps that "Manufacturing of Shapnel Shells" has the answer! :tinysmile_twink_t:

...I go and dive back into my fuze trash box again!

CHeers
Drew

This wasn't dug;

I think completed unfilled and used for training in some way, Reject mark would keep it out of the filled and issued stream. But only a guess. Maybe the reject mark would allow for "sovineer sale" There does seem to be lots of 1915 18 Pr. projectiles about over here considering the shortages in France at the time it does make one wonder.

Found it!

I knew I had a No80 with the "REJECT" stamped on it....

Seems that the powder trails for both time rings were never finished.

Interesting that both fuzes are "No 80 VII" and made by "RMC Co"!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• DSCN3758.jpg
    DSCN3758.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN3759.jpg
    DSCN3759.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3761.jpg
    DSCN3761.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3763.jpg
    DSCN3763.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3764.jpg
    DSCN3764.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN3766.jpg
    DSCN3766.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN3767.jpg
    DSCN3767.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 23
I knew I had a No80 with the "REJECT" stamped on it....

Seems that the powder trails for both time rings were never finished.

Wow! that's a nice fuze Andrew! im not jealous :tinysmile_eyebrow_t hehe. Thanks for showing it

Hi Ben,

Thank you!

Actually I feel like a "big kid" in a candy store" every time I start digging through my boxes of "trash fuses" - I'm amazed what's in there, and the condition!!!

Apart from growing old and senile & inert for the past twelve + years, I have completely forgotten what I have.......

I'll post more "finds" in the near future!

Cheers
Drew