What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

relic condition ordnance

There are probably many reasons for collecting what we collect. My main interest is the historical end of it. I think I chose WW1 is because of my dis-belief that a human being could endure such horror and squalor. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all who served and especially those who paid the ultimate price, from all war. Anyway, I have never made it a secret that relics are among my favorite especially if I get a little history of the piece, where it was found etc...Everything in this photo was obtained from BOCN members. The Dopp Z92 fuze on the 15cm cone was found on the Somme. The No20 rifle grenade was found in Delville Wood. If memory serves the SMLE cartridges on charger was Ypres area, and not sure where SMLE launcher cup was found (will try and ask previous owner). When I hold this stuff I can almost picture a battle, a small event in history, and for me that's the rub. I like to display a better condition next to a relic as it makes for quite a display in my opinion. I do realize that many collectors "blow boogers" at these relics but for me they are what it is all about. I have some relic fuzes that were found in Verdun, the Somme, The Argonne Forest and the list goes on and on. We are steadily aproaching the 100 year mark since WW1. I have always been a history buff, as was my deceased brother who was intrigued by the American Civil War. His collection helped put his son through college. Oh, I guess I could babble on but best cut this one off as I fear this may put some to sleep. All INERT......... RESPECT........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 765.jpg
    Picture 765.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi Dano,
the SMLE rounds and charger came from Polygon Wood,near Hooge,Ypres.:tinysmile_grin_t:

All the best
Tony

Hi Dano,
the SMLE rounds and charger came from Polygon Wood,near Hooge,Ypres.:tinysmile_grin_t:

All the best
Tony
Thanks Tony, I had it written down somewhere but couldn't find it. Polygon Wood, now there's a piece of history.....Dano

Hi Dano,

You said it all,without the huge sacrifices made by all combatants where would we be now,the majority of the world is now free,lets hope the sacrifices they made were not in vain,
Regards,Don,