What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relic WW 2 Enamel Warning Sign

skull181

This is my old warning sign for the No 76 Self igniting Phosphorus Grenade.

Once the contents came in contact with the air, the mixture ignited.

Extremely dangerous for any one who handled this grenade. :frown:

It caused many casualties on both sides.

This sign would have come from under the lid of a box of "AW Bombs".

Measures 30 x 20cms.

Question is: what is a AW Bomb/Grenade?? :confused:

Any one got any pictures.

Attachments

• 13415718961159bomb sign.jpg
    13415718961159bomb sign.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 13415718962161bomb sign 2.jpg
    13415718962161bomb sign 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 40
Nice sign ,,but the no76 didnt cause many casualties on both sides as it was for home guard use only

I disposed of a cache of these in York a number of years ago. I had a Fire Brigade drencher unit/team beside me for the operation. Very unpleasant items. I agree with Spotters comment regarding HG use only.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
No wonder ive never been able to find one:tinysmile_angry_t:

I disposed of a cache of these in York a number of years ago. I had a Fire Brigade drencher unit/team beside me for the operation. Very unpleasant items. I agree with Spotters comment regarding HG use only.

If they are for homeguards only why do we find them in the Netherlands?. I once had 12 over here.

Good question , Blu97 . Grenades seem to have an ability to travel on their own . A friend of mine found 50 Japanese pottery grenades in a pond in Poland!