What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remington 9mm Para ammo for UK in early WWII

Lewis

I just ran across a document from early in WWII which mentions Remington 9mm Para ammunition bought by the British. I have never heard of a British contract for 9mm P with Remington.

Can anyone date this document DSOS(A) Notes on Ammunition List No 5.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Copies of the documents are posted on my website at http://gigconceptsinc.com/British-Dwgs.html.

It also mentions British use of 9mm Mauser pistol ammunition which was new to me.

Any help appreciated!
Cheers,
Lew

DDOS/DWS Notes

Lew,

The earliest print date I have for this pamphlet is for 1000 off in January 1941.

To bracket the dates:
Issue No 4 was printed in September 1940.
Issue No 6 - January 1941 (a special on demolitions)

BUT it is very difficult determine from the 'imprint' (printers mark) whether or not it is a first production run.

A reprint of No 5 for a 100 was done in April 1942.

Norman

No.5

Thanks Norman for that useful bit of info. I have a couple of later ones, but apart from telling Lew the obvious, that it was from the early part of the war, I could not date it exactly.

I do wonder whether the Remington reference to the 9mm is simply a mistake, perhaps added because the .45 ACP ammo was from Remington.

The references to 9mm Mauser suggesting it is a service store were still present in Pamphlet 11, Small Arms Ammunition, in the February 1945 edition, and it is mentioned in the April 1949 edition.

Regards
TonyE

[...]

I do wonder whether the Remington reference to the 9mm is simply a mistake, perhaps added because the .45 ACP ammo was from Remington.

[...]
TonyE

Is it worth looking in the contracts papers at the PRO/TNA (SUPP 4)? Although I expect purchases might have been obscured via a US Mission or through Canada.

Supp/4

It is a few years since I went through the SUPP/4 ledger at the NA, but I did make a lot of notes at the time and there is no reference to any Remington order there. The early orders for the Winchester 9mm are there for the Admiralty "for Schmeisser guns" i.e. Lanchesters, as well as the later orders for large quantities (200+million). If I get time this week I will go and have another look.

Regards
TonyE