What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remington Ammo for the UK in WWII

Lewis

A friend recently ran across the following quote in a little Remington published book titled In Abundence and On Time from 1944.

"In June 1942, when final deliveries were made on the British contracts, and the manufacture of products for the company's regular market, already greatly reduced, was discontinued entirely, the change from a peacetime to a wartime basis was completed 100 per cent."

I know that Remington delivered 30-06 and 50 BMG to the UK early in the war. On a previous thread there was mention of Remington supplying 45 ACP and I quoted a document indicating Remington supplied 9x19, but this is probably a mistake.

Does anyone know of any other calibers?

This quote makes it clear that Remington had no significant production for the UK after June 1942 until the time the book was published in 1944.

Cheers,

Lew

Last edited:
Hi Lew,
not sure if this is any help to you,but from a WW2 training area,I have only come across 9x19 by Winchester and .45ACP by Western,have found .30 carbine from Remington from another area but can not be confirmed as being supplied to the U.K as U.S troops trained in this area during WW2.

Cheers
Tony

Tony,

What was the date on the Remington 30 Carbine headstamps. I'm pretty sure they are residue of US troops stationed in the UK.

I can't imagine that they were a UK contract since the M1 Carbine was introduced into US service in July 1942, which is a month after the final deliveries of Remington ammunition to the UK. I don't think the UK ever used the 30 Carbine.

Appreciate your reply. Thanks!!!

Lew

Hi Lew,
The headstamps on the WW2 .30" were RA 42, also LC 42, Britian did use the MI carbine in limited quantities in the Pacific during WW2.
Cheers
Tony