What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing gray paint from Finnish re-work 88 case

5th Armored

Hi All -
Anybody have tips on how to do it? And would I be correct in thinking that I should find a brass washed steel case under that paint?
Cheers
Chris

Most likely the surface below paint appears to be polished with very ugly remains of brass coating after you have removed the grey laquer. Further at least in later days the laquer used was two-component epoxy which is near impossible to remove with chemicals.

Finnish reloads remained in original coating until the surface was so bad that it had to be treated.

Ofcourse surprises may appear but I would not waste too much time in paint removal with this.

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies - think I'll leave the paint as-is, but the stencils have to go. I'd like to re-do them as they would have been when the round was in German hands.

Thanks for that Tmine - I'll try alcohol first. If that doesn't work I have access to a bunch of different solvents in the chem lab at work.
Cheers
Chris

nooooo dont touch finnish repainted cases!!!! under the grey you will find a red-pink color,like copper!!!
dont touch it!!

Not having a go,but curiosity has got the better of me.....why do you want to remove the stencils?,surely this round is what it is and if you change the stencils you would be making it something it isn't?..not nagging honest,just think the Finnish use of this round is part of it's genuine history

Cheers
Tony

Not having a go,but curiosity has got the better of me.....why do you want to remove the stencils?,surely this round is what it is and if you change the stencils you would be making it something it isn't?..not nagging honest,just think the Finnish use of this round is part of it's genuine history

Cheers
Tony

you cant do much wrong to it, the most damage will be 10 Euro's, the price on Egun.

No offense taken Tony- Because it is a cheap case, I don't feel bad experimenting on it - might help me avoid making mistakes restoring a nicer case down the road. I also want to try out a clamp I found that might work well for re-crimping. If I ruin it completely, as thekees said, I'm only out a tenner.