What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing solder from brass

Falcon

I have a 2 Pounder case that was a lamp, and it still has some solder inside the neck area. What is the best way of removing the solder without damaging the brass?

Thanks for any info.

Heat/Damp cloth or Wire Brush

Warm up the area until the solder melts and wipe very quickly and also hard with a heavy damp cloth as this will remove all but the last traces and those will have to be removed abrasively.

Another more effective method is to heat the area until the solder melts then wire brush this area, this works fine on externel surfaces but could be a problem inside a case neck !

In electronic repair desoldering braid is commonly used to remove solder from soldered joints on circuit boards.

It is a copper braid that is covered in flux. It is held on the solder to be removed and heated with a soldering iron. The solder melts and is drawn into the braid by capilliary action.

It works well. I normally buy it from RS, but they can be difficult to buy from if you don't have an account.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=5086324

Hello Glevum,
As Chris says but I use moist leather to wipe out the melted solder, not so many burnt fingers!
Cheers,
navyman

Nice tips guys, Glevum i had all but forgotten about that stuff it does work well but some how i alway end up with molten solder on my finger, and thats never a good thing.
Best Weasel.

There is a chemical

that dissolves lead, a friend who worked in a circuit board plant used it. I don't know what it was, likely some horrible acid. But if any one knows it might help out on the final bit left on the surface.

Probably Mercury, however it also forms amalgams with Zinc and in theory,
with Copper. It is also quiet expensive and the 'fun police' (H & S) have made it difficult to obtain.

Regards

TimG

I'm afraid that despite of what one does the final thin layer has to be removed abrasively in any case. Tin attends to mix with base metal Copper on the surface layer and create Bronze.
To save time and my fingers I remove all soft solder mechanically only.

Last edited:
I removed the solder today. I heated and wire brushed to remove most of it, then removed the final traces using fine emery cloth.