What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repainted M1916/18 Stick gren revived

jeeeensy

I Bought this up at Stonliegh show this year.. someone had painted it black,,, nice,,, not. but anyway i though i would give it a chance as often there can be a real gem hiding under the new paint.
had an hour or so free so out of the box it came and i got to work on it.. the bottom thred is to big for it and all of my spare bottom threads are to large so will be on the lookout for some of the smaller
bottom threads for the later WW1 stick grens... A Ciney jobby this will be in October,, that's if sober with Waffy and Mr Sammler :)

Before piccs.

Regards Nick

Attachments

• P1000617.jpg
    P1000617.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000622.jpg
    P1000622.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 53
  • P1000623.jpg
    P1000623.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000624.jpg
    P1000624.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
After Piccs

And After.. you can see faint stenciling on the can where the ink reacted with the paint and some original paint still present.
regards Nick

Attachments

• P1000625.jpg
    P1000625.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
  • P1000626.jpg
    P1000626.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000629.jpg
    P1000629.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1000628.jpg
    P1000628.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks Alan..

To clean it i used good old acitone to remove the new paint, then a dip in the oxalic tank then a bath in the borax tank to neutralize the acid and finally a coat of water displacement 40 :nerd:
I have a few more nice old relics I've managed to tidy up and pair up to a suitable handle that fits the condition of the can,, will take a few photo's and post them later on ,, question is where ?
under restoration or battlefield relics ?

regards Nick

nice job Nick,,how did you get the new paint off and keep the original

Thanks for the paint removal description
ref your other items put them in restoration nick,,then if someone ever has to do the same they can see what they should look like when finished

Thanks for the paint removal description
ref your other items put them in restoration nick,,then if someone ever has to do the same they can see what they should look like when finished

thank you,, will post a few piccs tomorrow, also just had a mail from a fiend with some dug sticks,,,and 2 nice cans all empty of course and relic,, will take these
and make a step by step conservation post on them ..

regards nick