What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repair station 'LNE'

Stuka

Hello,

I have several cases that were repaired by 'LNE'. Does anyone know who they are?

2.jpg 1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Stuka.

Thank you very much indeed!
Is there a list available of repair stations?

Last edited:
No, but generally, the repairs were carried out by the various railway companies.

Just realised that due to your location and age, you are not likely to know any of the rail companies that formed British Rail in 1948. I'll post or PM you a list tomorrow.

TimG

Last edited:
Great War –

CRY – Grand Central Railway, Manchester.
N.Ry – Great Northern Railway, Doncaster.
G.Ry – Great Western Railway, Swindon.

Beware of CS in a rectangle – This is C. Collins of Birmingham who are shown as manufacturing and repairing cases.

WWII
GWR - Great Western Railway Co. Swindon
LMS - London Midland & Scottish Railway
LNEC - London & North Eastern Railway Co

TimG

Hello,

Very interesting indeed, but I have a few questions: when you say repair, I suppose this means cases were put back to shape, trimmed etc... Or am I mistaken? And was there only railway companies doing this or were others entities doing it? And why railway coys, did they have special tooling?

Hi doppz92,

The railway works of the big companies were capable of doing pretty much anything in the heavy engineering line. Raw materials would go into one end of the works, and complete locomotives, coaches and wagons would come out of the other end! I have seen a photo of the inside of Swindon works in WW1, where they were making 6" guns, and the shells for them. Refurbishing a brass shell-case would have been child's play for them. Lots of other companies did this type of work, and the Military and Navy had their own places where this work could be done.

Roger.

Doppz92,

I've as yet to find a definition for repair. For the Great War period, repair of minor cracks to the necks is mentioned. There were other companies involved, the only other one that I have positively identified is RL (Woolwich).

TimG

Thank you Roger,

I didn't realize these works were actually manufacturing locomotives and obviously could do loads of other metal jobs. I understand now how easy it was for them to complete the task.

Frank

TimG,

Yes it would be interesting to know what repair means really, I assume cases had to be trimmed, but also put back to shape because they lost it after firing and also because some would have dents (selected because these were minors??) since when fired in action, spent cases could be thrown behind the gun without care. Surely there is some kind of regulations to follow when sorting them out once they would have been sent back either to somehow be re-used.

Doppz92

These pages from the Ministry of Munitions Journal might be of interest.

Tom.

Attachments

• P1 MoMJ.jpg
    P1 MoMJ.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 51
  • P2 MoMJ.jpg
    P2 MoMJ.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P3 MoMJ.jpg
    P3 MoMJ.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P4 MoMJ.jpg
    P4 MoMJ.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 45
  • P5 MoMJ.jpg
    P5 MoMJ.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 45
Fantastic document, thanks Tom, I never thought badly crushed cases would be rescued and re-used, I thought they would go as scrap and that was it. But it does make sense, considering the cost of a brand new case.

I have seen French cases renovated and British ones, but I never really paid attention to the German ones, I assume they were doing this too, does anyone have examples of markings related to renovation being done to a case?

Frank

Hello,
I have made a compilation of the repair's firm I have on cases 18PR MKII. I have found 19 marks. I list them in alphabetical order. Due to the number of pictures (18), I have to do several posts. For the other cases, I have to take new pictures.
1) BDDB( not sure for DD): pic 1; BLDB ( with YRY): pic 2; BLD/DB and BLD/NB on the same case: pic3
2) CRY ( with MRY): pic 4
3) CS in a rectangle ( with MRY): pic 5. (As said by TimG, CS has also made cases. I have only seen 4.5Inch MKII).
4) DAG in a rectangle: pic 6.
5) E38: pic 7. Before the war, the repair's firm were identified by a letter with a number. Ex E2, B4, E41.....
6) EOC: pic 8. See also the primer made by M, with the Egyptian Army acceptance mark.( thanks again to TimG). All the primers, I have seen, made by M have that mark. It is also the same for SMC.
7) ERY: see pics 5&9.
8) GRY: pic 9.
9) HGL: pic 10 (with CS)
10) HRY: pic 11.
11) JLD: pic 12.
12) MRY see pic 4.
13) N (or Z) in a square: pic 13.
14) NRY: pic 14 ( with WEX)
15) NWN: pic 15.
16) WEX: see pic 14.
17) WRY: pic 16 (with CRY)
18) WSL: pic 17.
19) YRY: see pic 2.
In conclusion, pic 18, a case of 18 PR MKI which has been repaired 4 times: E43; BLDB; CRY and DAG.
Best Regards,
Dandebur.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Dandebur,

Great selection, I'll try and identify some of them later.

Careful with Letters and numbers as these are generally the Batch letter and number from when the case was annealed. The letter represents the year, 'Z' equates to 1935.

The case in photo 7 has been used as a 'Proof' round " 1 P _ .. " The symbols " - " or ". " indicate that a case has fired respectively one proof or one service charge. The markings on this case would appear to indicate that it has been used for one proof charge and two service charges. Which is rather confusing as it has only been filled twice.

TimG

Last edited:
In photo 10, immediately to the left of '18 Pr.' you will see two opposing arrows with a circle between their shafts, this indicates that the case has been repaied by brazing. There may well be evidence on the neck of such a repair.

TimG

WEX - Willey & Co., Ltd. Haven Road, Exeter.

MRH - London, Midland and Scottish Railway, Horwich.

RPW - I don't know

DGS - Davis Gas Stove Co. Furnace Department, Diamond Foundry, Luton.

TimG

Last edited: