What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repaired 3 fin Granatenwerfer projectile

As mentioned earlier my 3 fin '16 Granatenwerfer projectile got the fins FUBAR during my move across town. Thanks to a very helpful BOCN member I was able to remake the fins out of sheet tin. Ironically the fins had been redone by me at an earlier date, so I guess I will call it a redone - redo! I was not real exacting in this repair as making a collar for the fins requires steadier hands and sharper eyes than I possess. So I have a 3 fin and a 4 fin Granatenwerfer in my collection, but still need the practice version...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 529.jpg
    Picture 529.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
A pretty good job,nonetheless,Dano,I recently added the second 4 fin Granatenwerfer bomb to my collection.I am,sadly,no nearer the long term goal of my very own Granatenwerfer (Spigot Mortar/Launcher,that is!!!)
The previous owner of my latest bomb had made an excellent job of it's restoration and fin replacement,and apparently owned it for many years.I do wonder though if he ever noticed that the launch cartridge was still in situ? I don't want to venture too far into what might be a taboo topic in these forums,but my thoughts,so far,on resolving this little problem,involve a couple of carefully positioned lengths of string,penetrating oil,and the use of gravity,if you see what I mean.I would welcome the thoughts of anyone else who has had a similar problem (PM)
Regards Chris.

The cartridge is stuck in there for so many years that I do not think you
will be able to remove it. I have seen some examples were the backend
with the cartridge was completely cut off.

If you have a close look at some of the mortars in museums, you will often
notice that the firing cartridge with an untouched primer is still up there.
Perhaps the moral is to simply leave it alone.

Yes,I have considered just leaving it,it has after all been there for 90 odd years without a problem.What goes through my mind,though,is the serious accident at the MOD Pattern Room mentioned in a previous post on the Granatenwerfer.The bomb involved apparently launched itself off the mortar it was displayed on for no good reason,and hit one of the staff members.
I have notions of displaying this bomb,like my first one,on a stand made from a shortened wooden kitchen roll holder from my local charity shop.In effect fitting it on a spigot,and if the same thing happened to me,at the very least,I would be needing a change of underwear,and I'd be facing the problem of how to dig it out of the ceiling!!!!
Regards Chris.

Make sure if you mount it on a stick that the stick has some kind of collar
on it thus preventing the top hitting the cartridge. For display purpose it
only has been be mounted on the 'spigot' for two or three inches.

Cheers, Jan

Brilliant picture of the transit box for Granaten shown in the aforementioned article.I can't get a clear enough enlarged image of the instruction label on the lid,all I can make out is Fertigmachen der Granaten.I'm wondering whether the launch cartridge was inserted prior to use?
Regards Chris.

Chris, managed to find a better copy of that particular picture. Will have a
look and see whether I can enlarge the label for you.

Cheers, Jan

Many thanks,Jan,I haven't managed to remove the cartridge from my latest bomb yet,I still do think it would be a good idea to do so.Although we are permitted to keep blank cartridges in this country,I'm not too sure what the situation might be when the cartridge is fitted into a bomb that it's intended to propel.I feel fairly sure that the bomb cannot really be considered 100% inert.
Regards Chris.

That would probably turn into a legal discussion. Cartridge status itself
does not change when it is used for something else: it is still a blank firing
cartridge no matter what! But he, I'm no lawyer.

You're correct stating that the device as a whole is not completely inert
as long as that blank firing cartridge is up there. Let us know what the
outcome is after a good soak of penetrating oil.

Cheers, Jan