What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repro 2nd pattern Mills box

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

if anyone is interested i have had a mate make a repro Mills box with exact measurements of the one i have that was found on the Somme last year.
Its been aged slightly and is as complete as one can get. Ok, one cannot be exact about the colour but its a slate grey and looks fantastic with all the nails and rope in the same position as my original box.

Priced around 60 quid, let me know if anyone is interested? I am not making these myself, cant saw a cut in a straight line for toffee.

Andy

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 109
Nice job... it looks good....

I am sure it would cost a small fortune to ship to Canada :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Probably would however i am sure it would not be too bad surface mail. Might take a couple of months or so.

However it is an exact replica[measurements] of my original box and i did say to the guy making it that my box was a bit more grey as there is some paint left on it and he did darken it a bit. Labels might have a bit of licence though.

I can weigh it and see what it costs if interested and put u in touch with the maker?

I am dead impressed with it though as it looks the 'biz'. If you want more pics, let me know.

Andy

Thanks Andy.... maybe for the sake of argument if you could see what it posts at..... there may some more of us interested in the "colonies" if shipping is not too bad....

Thanks Andy.... maybe for the sake of argument if you could see what it posts at..... there may some more of us interested in the "colonies" if shipping is not too bad....
Hi bud,

ime afraid nothing, either air or surface mail weighing over 2 kilo can be sent to Canada. The Mills box weighs a little under 3 kilo so thats that buggered, ime sorry. Airmail elsewhere is going to be around 30+ ime so it seems.

Andy

Yes bud, thats right. Also known as a sov, spondoolicks, notes,sherbert,dosh, readies etc etc etc.
Then of course theres amounts such as a monkey, pony, the list goes on.

Andy

Hi bud,

ime afraid nothing, either air or surface mail weighing over 2 kilo can be sent to Canada. The Mills box weighs a little under 3 kilo so thats that buggered, ime sorry. Airmail elsewhere is going to be around 30+ ime so it seems.

Andy

Thanks for checking Andy ....

Stupid Post Office :tongue:..... courier would be the only option then and costing a small fortune.....

Thanks for the edumication on the money lingo. I suppose the same thing applies here, DEAD PRESIDENTS, a BEN, etc. being our examples. Just never thought about it being a universal habit.

I think Mr. Spotter wants to talk to you in his office, by the way.:motz:

And Missing Something REALLY needs that box, to put all of his new haul in.
Thanks bud,

i wasnt posting the item for sale actually, just trying to see if theres any interest. I wont be selling them as i dont make them. All i would do is direct anyone interested to the maker but as it stands the post abroad seems to be prohibitive.

Its a shame as they are so very good.

Andy

Thanks for the edumication on the money lingo. I suppose the same thing applies here, DEAD PRESIDENTS, a BEN, etc. being our examples. Just never thought about it being a universal habit.

I think Mr. Spotter wants to talk to you in his office, by the way.

And Missing Something REALLY needs that box, to put all of his new haul in.

Mr Spotter wasnt refering to this post when he bumped the post about sales in general forums :secruity:
that was a reminder as someone was posting stuff for sale into posts in the general forums.
Andy as he says is showcasing something a friend makes up and if you contact him he will pass on the makers details to anyone interested in getting one made.

Last edited:
Whew! Lucky for you gothica!:date:
Just Realised Rick, u from Arkansas.

Been there and Oklahoma in 1980 when i was on a transfer with your local National guard. Remember it well, June 1980. So kin hot we sat up to our necks in canvas lined trailers filled with water fully clothed at midnight 'sippin' moonshine. Way to go at the time, oh, the memories.We were at Forts Chaffee n Smith.

Andy

Very nice! Your mate has done a great job.
For shipments to Canada, you may want to check out the rates from DHL.
From what I've been told, their ground service is pretty reasonable.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi all,

if anyone is interested i have had a mate make a repro Mills box with exact measurements of the one i have that was found on the Somme last year.
Its been aged slightly and is as complete as one can get. Ok, one cannot be exact about the colour but its a slate grey and looks fantastic with all the nails and rope in the same position as my original box.

Priced around 60 quid, let me know if anyone is interested? I am not making these myself, cant saw a cut in a straight line for toffee.

Andy

Hi Brad,

just checked DHL to Canada, 52 for up to 5 kilo takes 3/4 days however if i book this online its reduced by 50% to 26 quid. Still a lot though.

Andy

However it is an exact replica.... Labels might have a bit of licence though.

I can ....see what it costs if interested and put u in touch with the maker?

Andy
I do like the labels! And I'd imagine postage on a few of them would be cheap. Would they be available separately?

I do like the labels! And I'd imagine postage on a few of them would be cheap. Would they be available separately?
Hi Gunner,

just been advised that a complete set of labels for both inside and outside the box, all period and correct would cost 6.00 plus postage. Hope this helps.

Andy

Here are a few more pics of the repro Mills gren box.Its almost an exact copy of the original box found a year or so back on the Somme, even down to the positioning of the nails in the wood. Cant obviously say its the exact colour nor that the labels were in the same place but a pretty good copy nevertheless. Its even been slightly aged too which gives it a great character.
Am told its unique at the moment as its the only one produced so far by the maker from my measurements.
Sorry about me in one of the piccies.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture423.jpg
    Picture423.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Picture425.jpg
    Picture425.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture426.jpg
    Picture426.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 17