What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repro Filling Station Labels for Steel boxes.... Anyone make them or done them?

NZ L1A1 Collector

I need to make or buy or print some filling station sealing labels to be used on a reproduction Charge Bag Cylinders.

According to the the ammunition section of the 9.2 inch Handbook the Cylinders should have:-
"Station labels at junction of lid and body of cylinder."

I'm going to go with 'CY' as the filling station and I have an image of the standard type of CY station label, but what I would like to know is how wide would the label be? 1 inch?, 1.5 inches?

From what I've seen of this type of label, they seem to be printed on a open weave type material, anyone know what that material is?

Another label I have to sort out is the Government Explosives and Classification label, since the Cylinder is large (885mm High, 270mm Diameter), it would use the large 3-3/4 inch square type. The Group would appear to be 3. I need an image of the land service GROUP 3 label, dose anyone have an image I can use?

Can anyone help me out.

I'm sure i've got some illustrations of the classification labels.There has been some posts on here with a lot of labels,try a search.
As for the filling labels, i'm sure its something like muslin,very similar to the old style bandages,ie,raid the first aid kit!.
Do you reckon the size would be similar to the 4.5" Naval gun style,i've got a box with partial tape still on.

I think the labels are like muslin or hessian, something like that. I have seen on the net people doing 'crafts' using and printing on hessian using their inkjet printers so I thought I might try the same thing if I can work out the right material. Maybe some of the lighter weight bandages might do the job?

The tape on the 4.5 inch crate might be the right size :)

1 I have a Australian Inspection linen seal its aprox 1 and half wide and just over 3 ins long
2 Some seals are a little larger
Hope this info helps
Steve
Ex RNAD Trecwn

Here's a 'concept' design, at this stage its only on paper and I still have to mess with the lettering. At 1.5 inches wide they are just over 5.5 inches long
StationLabel_concept_zpsf90f67a2.jpg
StationLabelCyWnz_zps8bcadff2.jpg

After a trip to the local fabrics shop and some internet reading I had a go at making a station label using muslin cloth bonded to an iron-on backing. Then I put it through the inkjet printer using the design I had drawn up in Word.

The 'double image' is because I screwed up the first time and reuse the same piece of material without another 'special' material attached to it just to ensure the process would work and it seems to done ok.

StationLabelCy-Muslin_zpsf0d18cdb.jpg
StationLabelCyWnz-Muslin_zpsaee28d99.jpg

Last edited:
I tried and managed to remove the paper backing sheet needed so it can be put through the inkjet printer and now the seal looks more like the originals.
StationLabelCy-Muslin_v2_zpsddb0ed0c.jpg
StationLabelCyWnz-Muslin_v2_zps54bf5299.jpg

That looks great, when you use them ,make sure you plaster them down with lots of glue/paste,in a sloppy fashion(aka,like the real thing!)

First class job there NZ. Might try some myself. Just needs a coat of shellac to finish. Are these the containers you made or real ones you have refurbished?
Cheers
Gary

1 The glue we used was PVA
2 Had to be careful when it was near freezing as it would dry white so we would use shellac

Hope this info helps

Steve

Ex RNAD Trecwn

Thanks radioman1 for the info about securing the labels I will try PVA, hopefully the printer ink doesn't run, I guess I will find out. I'll post photos when I've done it.

The Cylinder on the left in the first two photos is an original No. 36 Cylinder, 1944 dated.
The tube on the right was the version 1 mock-up of a Cylinder, but the manufacturer couldn't make the complex cap, collar and bottom pieces.

Ive experimented with the paint colour (chocolate) on it and also tried my hand at applying the stencils I made just to see how they would look.

The label (WNZ) attached in the second photo is actually attached to the top and collar that have been moulded based on the original cylinder to the left.

At this stage Im in the process of making 34 replica No. 36 Cylinders using rigid polyurethane foam for the Cap, Collar and Bottom pieces and then connecting the Collar and Bottom pieces with galvanised tube.

Parts have begun to arrive
No36Cylinder-Replica-Parts_01_zps2f9d49eb.jpg
No36Cylinder-Replica-Parts_02_zps8389e11b.jpg

Well I must say I am impressed! I have a lid but it has been run over by a vehicle and is too distorted to use, its good to see a complete container.
Cheers
Gary