What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore Mills No 5 Lever to original brown shellac

Alan Alfred

Hi all. I am trying to complete a project. Recently I purchased a grenade. I cleaned the shell and lightly repainted over with a thin new coat of shellac. It is now a lovely dark brown colour. I replaced the centre piece, spring, striker, ringpull, and base. I have aquired an original lever. I have cleaned this lever to bare metal, the question is how do I match the lever (silver) to the colour of the grenade dark (brown)? I have tried just painting with a few coats of shellac but it is just not dark enough. Any ideas?

Hi Alan.
I recently restored a sectioned No5. There was a small section missing which i replaced with car body filler. I then painted the repair in a dark brown paint before i shellaced it. this blended the repair to the body and you could not tell where it was. maybe a light coat of paint on your lever will have the same effect.
Cheers, Paul.