What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restored 13 Pounder Shrapnel Shell Pricecheck

peregrinvs

Hi,

Having just bought a restored 13pdr shrapnel shell at the local car boot, could anyone give me an idea of what these are currently worth in the UK? The seller knew what it was so I didn't get it for a few quid. It's been fired, filled and repainted although I shall probably re-restore it as they didn't do a brilliant job. It came with a reasonably tidy No.80 fuse.
I know roughly what 18pdr's go for, but I believe 13pdr's are rarer?
Thanks,
Mark

Condition as bought...
13 Pounder shrapnel shell.jpg
Not a very good job... it appears they couldn't be bothered to clean all the rust off first and put some Polyfilla or suchlike over the top - which is now coming off.

My aim is to strip it back to clean metal and then refill and repaint it. Does anyone know of anything that dissolves Polyfilla?

I'm guessing a long soak in water will remove or soften polyfiller then a wire brush. if its P38 then paint stripper sometimes works. as to value whay is it worth to you?

I'm guessing a long soak in water will remove or soften polyfiller then a wire brush. if its P38 then paint stripper sometimes works. as to value what is it worth to you?
Indeed. It's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. The shell and case cost me 40 - possibly not a brilliant deal in it's current condition, but I am intending to improve it.

Hi Yes i agree with 2pounder paint stripper will soften the P39 filler then wire brush and de rust, if you get fed up with it i have a home for it :tinysmile_shy_t: joking aside it should come up well when finished, i always put mine on my lathe and get a good finish that way, good luck.
Andy

Hi Yes i agree with 2pounder paint stripper will soften the P39 filler then wire brush and de rust, if you get fed up with it i have a home for it :tinysmile_shy_t: joking aside it should come up well when finished, i always put mine on my lathe and get a good finish that way, good luck.
Thanks. Yes, I could have done with a lathe when I was sanding down the Stokes mortar I recently restored as it took ages by hand. Sadly no space.