What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

restoring 120mm Chieftain practice projectile

ken68

Hi i want to restore this fired 120mm L11 series gun practice projectile but not sure about the blue paint and stencils , does anyone have any pictures they could share with me i would really Appreciate any help .
the stampings on body are ..... I won't do a direct copy from anyones.! collection its just to get a base to start with . thanks

079P
120 MM TK
SX 912
06827 PAT
11-81 LOT 496 B

PRACTICE BASE PLUG SX 1173

Cheers ken

images show completed round

Attachments

• 23384_127648214069519_1008595041_n.jpg
    23384_127648214069519_1008595041_n.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 65810_127648330736174_277457451_n.jpg
    65810_127648330736174_277457451_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 398163_127648244069516_321958276_n.jpg
    398163_127648244069516_321958276_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken
Did You you get the details on painting your 120mm round? i sent you a PM don't know if you received it?
Harry

Hi harry sorry for my delay i have PM my email mate , rumour has it these cheiftain practice projectiles were not painted blue (i cant confirm this ?) i cant find 1 mint example on line to show color , when i think i got mine it had a very dark rusty red on it, and because of the rifled barrel marks through it makes me think this was never repainted after recovery ,i found no trace of blue at all ?

cheers ken

I'll have a look at mine later and get details on markings for you.
BTW, mine is painted black.

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks tony thats it for sure they are blue , i have this cracking picture , with thanks from another member and his kind permission to attach it to this thread , i will post pictures with new paint job soon,

thanks for the feed back and any more info please post as this L11 series gun kit is quite hard to find.

cheers ken

Hi Ken,
had a bit of an idea about the stencils mate,have you tried lettrasett? you can get them in W.H Smiths and they are like decals but you rub the back of the backing film with a pen or coin ect to get them on whatever you want.
They are a bit fragile when on so maybe a light coat of spray clear lacquer afterwards? they are available in numbers,letters,black,white and different sizes.

All the best
Tony

P.S if you can get spray cans of the original Ford electric blue it is a very close match to the 'practice' blue,but be careful as the later/current electric blue is darker for some reason

Last edited:
Thanks Tony i think thats the best for stencils i will look for the lettrasett because i may have got grades in ART !!! but i cant do stencils my 76mm armdc are'nt to hot lol . i am lucky with this paint job my brother in law is 26 years pro paint shop manger.... and is doing the paint job , i had thought about the lacquer with normal kind of stickers and mentioned it to him , but your way is sounding 100% better as the letters will be fine so i am going to give it a bash , a trip to W.H smiths tomorrow , thanks for the information i will put it to work as soon as its painted ,

cheers ken ps found them this pics an example :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi Tony i picked up 7mm white Letraset transfers and tried it on this old AP projectile to see how it looks they gone on great ,also i will use a dusting of the lacquer to make them rub resistant , still not got round to painting the 120 mil yet waiting on brother in law getting a quiet spell at work ?

cheers ken
Hi Ken,
had a bit of an idea about the stencils mate,have you tried lettrasett? you can get them in W.H Smiths and they are like decals but you rub the back of the backing film with a pen or coin ect to get them on whatever you want.
They are a bit fragile when on so maybe a light coat of spray clear lacquer afterwards? they are available in numbers,letters,black,white and different sizes.

All the best
Tony

P.S if you can get spray cans of the original Ford electric blue it is a very close match to the 'practice' blue,but be careful as the later/current electric blue is darker for some reason

Hi Ken. I just found this info in an old Royal Ordnance brouchure on AFV weapons systems.
Hope it of use to you and any one else.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• 120 mm info 1.jpg
    120 mm info 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 120 mm info 2.jpg
    120 mm info 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 46
Thats brilliant i love these old brouchures the information is spot on and what i have been looking for , thanks paul i have been able to put together some good material on the L11 ammunition and data with everyones help !! i think someone asked what the lead shot was in the prac L32A6, in a thread i cant find? it was to adjust the weight in the projectile to match the weight of the HESH L31A7 if needed that is. the HES filling on the prac was INERT and weight only it basically flattened on impact no secondary POP !!i am looking forward to restoring this one even though it has been through the rifled gun , its still in good shape , i dought i will ever get the base plug off they cemented them on !!

cheers ken

cheers ken
Hi Ken. I just found this info in an old Royal Ordnance brouchure on AFV weapons systems.
Hope it of use to you and any one else.
cheers, paul.

Last edited:
Hi guys i forgot to ask does anyone know if the base plug is painted grey ? as mine is bare Alloy . we got the blue paint just waiting on shaun getting some free time at work for painting , photos i have seen the base plug looks kinda grey ? except fired ones .....

cheers ken

painted 120mm tk

All painted nice even job i will need to get pictures done in the day time but its looking good i think? thanks for all your input ...

cheers ken

Very nice Ken,great to see before and after photos this good.
Next project?

All the best
Tony

Thanks Tony got a couple of 30mm aden prac need of attention and a 27mm mauser tornado . see what my wife gets me in march for my birthday got alot on this year so shes counting the pennies :wink: really does look better from the day i got it , looks great on my desk top , shaun painted it so he gets the credit (brother in law) not sure if the base is to dark? easy fix thought ....
3 pics start to finnish . you dont happen to have pictures of a prac aden projectile and a 27mm mauser Tony ?

cheers ken
Very nice Ken,great to see before and after photos this good.
Next project?

All the best
Tony

Hi Ken,
yes I do mate,I'll photo tomorrow when it's light and post them here for you,is it just the projectiles you need photos of and is the 27mm British?

Cheers
Tony