What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reworked No.117

Stuka

Lately, I bought this 117 fuze. It is interesting to me as it is a reworked/double stamped fuze. Would fit my small collection of 'strange' fuzes nicely.

It is made as a 117IIIA by ULD, Glasgow in 8/42, filled in Bridgend in 9/42.
After a year, it was probably emptied and reworked by LP, Manchester in '43 -again as a 117IIIA, so no upgrade or something- and filled again in Bridgend in 6/44.
1173.jpg 1174.jpg 1172.jpg 1171.jpg

But upon further inspection, I noticed this fuze has more holes than a regular 117:
It has two holes for a grub screw to retain the top part, both threaded. The original one is soldered shut.
Also, it has two holes for a grub screw to retain the gaine. Again, both threaded, so no DIY stuff done later on by the previous collector.
The gaine has two drilled indents as well, to accept the grub screw. Both seem to be original.
What could be the reason to go through the hassle of emptying the fuze, drilling and tapping new holes and filling it again, a year after it had initially been filled?

Original holes in line.
1177.jpg

Top one with solder.
1178.jpg

New holes.
1176.jpg

Gaine.
1175.jpg

Thomas.

Hi, the only thing I can think of is there was an issue with one of the components, ie the pellet or the CE in the magazine perhaps? The whole lot number would be recalled and reworked. If the fuze had been modified it would either change mark or would, if still the same in WW2 as WW1 have a star after the mark. Tim G would know i imagine.

For some unknown reason(s) the original Lot(s) were rejected post filling. As the fuze has been rectified (not just the filling) it would suggest that there was a problem with the components, assembly etc.

TimG