What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RGD 5 Grenade, trainer or for the Hardball community?

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Are you guys familiar with the relatively harmless trainer version?
It is loaded with 1,5 grams of flash powder. The secondary fragmentation is the outer shell made from what can best be described as expansion foam used for isolation (see photo).
The main fragmentation consist of a 65 gram soft VAX core. There is also VAX in the upper half of the grenade although it is not shown in the photo. I had to break it into small pieces in order to get it out, hence it is not shown.
The spoon/lever and the fuse housing is made from plastic. The total weight of the grenade is 105 gram. It could be for training in an urban combat scenario, but it would also suit the Hardball community. The delay is 4-5 seconds.
Have any of you seen this one before?

HGR RGD5 Trainer (1) Weight 105 gram_Vax fragment 65gram_Explosive 1,5gram Flash Powder.jpgHGR RGD5 Trainer (2) Weight 105 gram_Vax fragment 65gram_Explosive 1,5gram Flash Powder.jpgHGR RGD5 Trainer (3) Weight 105 gram_Vax fragment 65gram_Explosive 1,5gram Flash Powder.jpg

Also found in France, used by airsoft/paintball players.
Easy to buy online.
You have the TAG19 U.
I had the TAG19 Sh with plastic balls inside.
Very surprised by the effect when I used it !

I saw in videos Ukrainians using the PIRO-5 series (same devices) for soldiers training.

Last edited:
These objects are also quite popular among paintball and airsoft players in Germany and are available to them. As far as I know, the manufacturer is based in Latvia. The company is also the owner of the required certificate according to the European regulation on pyrotechnic articles. By the way: the company also sells a model in the design of the American M67 grenade.
Even though I was surprised by the effect of the 'only' approx. 1.5g active charge, I would not consider it as military training material, as its weight is after all significantly lower than that of a real hand grenade. This item simply contains practically no metal due to its intended use.
Best regards,
urg86-collector

Attachments

• Tag19_Kopie_klein.JPG
    Tag19_Kopie_klein.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Tag19-2.png
    Tag19-2.png
    270 KB · Views: 7
  • TAG19W_Kopie.jpeg
    TAG19W_Kopie.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8