What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RML Projectile

glevum

Hi There,

I've recently joined and this is my first post here.

I have this RML shell and I'm tying to identify it.

I wonder if anyone can help.

It is 88.4mm dia and 176mm long with two rows of 6 studs.

There is no gas check on the base.

Attachments

• RML1.jpg
    RML1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 56
Raises another question, for me at least. Do RML projectiles come available frequently? I'd like to get one just because.

Do you mean "Treatise on Ammunition 1877"?

The Calibre is very similar to the 16lb RML. 3.48" vs 3.54" but the shell has 6 pairs of studs while a 16pr RML shell has 3 pairs of studs. This shell is 7" long while the 16lb Common Shell Mk1 is 10" long.

There are no markings on my shell.

I found it in an antique shop in the 70s. It can't have been very much, I was at school and bought it with my pocket money.

ive been looking through the British Treaties/textbooks i have and have cant find anything the same,could it be non-british ?

The French used something like these

but I know bugger all about them, somebody will though.

I don't think it is British, I always wondered if it was French?

I am not aware of any British RML guns with 6 rifling grooves.

The Armstong and Pallister guns seem to all have three grooves.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The museum looks worth a visit. It is a shame that you can't readthe dimensions on the drawings on the web site.

a long shot ,,but is there anything stamped on the studs or on the round

RML studs

I'm no expert on these shell (nor much else either) but I am under the impression that all British Service studs were copper but I have seen other shells studded in brass and possibley zinc but cant remeber which museum or collection they were in and a check on photos taken hasn't helped. It might be worth trying The Ordnance Society as they are into earlier stuff. They had a website but not sure if they are questionable on it Ive a load of their earlier publications but no index so it might take a while to find something useful.

I've searched and found some informations

• le canon de 4 de campagne modle 1857 (calibre de 86 m/m), tirant un projectile de 4 kilogrammes une porte maximum de 3.200 mtres.
  • le canon de 8 (calibre de 106 m/m) tirant un projectile de 8 kilogrammes une porte maximum de 3.400 mtres.
  • le canon de 12 de campagne (calibre de 121 m/m) tirant un projectile de 12 kilogrammes une porte maximum de 3.000 mtres.
The french studded shells have zinc studs. The studs are stamped with a code (name of the factory or arsenal town).

standard.jpg

But, French naval models (164mm for example) have zinc and copper studs mixed .

And the old and the very uncommon french shell Tamisier has studs too.

An other way i have found today when i searched on "Web.ukonline"
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.johnson/arms/frac2.jpg
A picture shows other studded rounds ; "Whitworth" , "Finspong" and "Terre noire"

an italian design here (from wk2ammo forum).
http://www.wk2ammo.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6421&d=1190211913

The ammunition room of the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich contains a variety of studded and sectionned shells
http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/armynavy/mode.jpg

Last edited:
Lead Studded Projectile;

To All,
I believe the main difference between English and French lead studded projectiles is the the number of stud pairs. French used six pairs and in the early days the English copied the design and used 3 pairs (six i all) and made them of lead to protect the brass cannon from wear. They change to the copper studs, same number of rows of 2 or 3. Usually there will be a date stamped on one stud, ie. 04/98.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
RML's

Greetings,

Zinc was also employed as stud material for RML projectiles.

Zinc tended to react with iron when exposed to salty atmosphere, so copper was used. A directive was issued to grease zinc studs & implement a regular inspection regime so that defective zinc studded projectiles could be isolated from use.

I have not seen lead studs on RML's, this would have been too soft & strip/jump the rifling of the gun, I would have thought.

The projectile on the far right has EOC cast into the body near the fuze hole & markings on the stud ends, also has 2 x 6 studs but is Brit!

Regards,

Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 47
French Studded Projectile Fuze:

Sir,
Here is the fuze that goes with your two studded shells in the second photo.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Copper Studded shell with Fuze;

Sir;
Is this the fuze in your shell? (not my art work)
John aka Bart