What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RO 76mm projectile specs

Dave1160

Hello, I am trying to find out the specs for the 76mm projectile manufactured by RO for the Saladin & Scorpion platforms. If you can help I would be most grateful.

Which one are you interested in? There is the L24A1/2 HE-T, L25A1 HE Prac-T, L29 HESH-T, L32A5 smoke BE, L33A1 canister and L42 illuminating.

Hi Tony i personally am interested in any drawings of any of the 76mm but mainly HE and Prac rnds as i have lost what info i had on them..

Drawings of HE-T and Smoke rounds have appeared in the ECRA Bulletin and I can email you copies, if you give me the address.

Thank you Tony ,ive sent you my contact details via private message

I can add a few pics from a friends collection that i visited this evening, many thanks to mach1bang for letting me take these,

mach1bang76's 01.jpgmach1bang76's 03.jpgIMG-20110507-00127.jpgmach1bang76's 05.jpgmach1bang76's 02.jpgmach1bang76's 04.jpg

I found this thread at the start of my search, so I will continue looking to see if there are other threads with info, but I have trying to find a technical reference, drawing, etc for a Cartridge 76mm Armd C HE-T. The one I have is very similar in appearance to the ones in Weasels photos, but it has different colour coding. It has likely been repainted. It is buff overall with black stenciling and a red filling ring. The projectile is stenciled 76MM ARMD C HE SX255 GF RDX/TNT CY/8/58. The fuze is a No. 410 Mk 2/1*, which I believe the * indicates the fuze has been modified and no longer has the delay function. The cartridge case is stamped RW175 76MM ARMD C LOT 1 RLB 1958 on the base. I would appreciate any specific information anyone can provide on this specific cartridge.

Since I am working from my work computer, it appears I am unable to attach a photo.

Ammocat. The colour coding is perfectly correct for a shell of that date. Markings changed in 1945, 1948, 1954, 1960 and 1964. Your's is to the 1954 scheme. 1960 saw the introduction of deep bronze green for the 76mm Armd C HE, prior to that it was 'buff' colour.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed in Weasels photo of the HE cartridges they are marked SX348 and SX368, whereas the cartridge I have is marked SX255. I am assuming this means there was a change in the process for filling the projectile, but would this affect the model number of the cartridge? I don't see any model numbers marking on the cartridges in the photos, would SX255 be L24, SX348 be L24A1, etc?

Thanks for the reply. I noticed in Weasels photo of the HE cartridges they are marked SX348 and SX368, whereas the cartridge I have is marked SX255. I am assuming this means there was a change in the process for filling the projectile, but would this affect the model number of the cartridge? I don't see any model numbers marking on the cartridges in the photos, would SX255 be L24, SX348 be L24A1, etc?

I will see what i can find out. The SX numbers are part numbers for projectiles (RW for cartridges) and the GF means 'general filled' so you could be right about a filling change. It could affect the model number. By the way in British service the nomenclature of the first version issued would include A1.

The Shell, 76mm, Armd C, HE (SX368GF) consists of a shell body (Part No SX800). The wall of the cavity is coated with bitumen.
The Shell (SX348GF) differs from the 368 in that the cavity is not bitumen coated.
The Shell (SX255GF) differs from the 348 mainly in that the copper driving band is formed with an external rib.

They were assembled with cartridges, filling, fuzes atc to give the following designations:

Round, 76mm, Armd C, HE, L24A1; Case RW175 filled 566.99g NQ/M; Primer No15; Shell SX255GF; Fuze L17 or 410*; Weight 7.422kg

Round, 76mm, Armd C, HE, L24A2; Case RW175 filled 737.09g FNH; Primer No15; Shell SX255GF; Fuze L17 or 410*; Weight 7.592kg

Round, 76mm, Armd C, HE, L24A3; Case RW175 filled 566.99g NQ/M; Primer No15; Shell SX348GF; Fuze L17 ; Weight 7.422kg

Round, 76mm, Armd C, HE, L24A4; Case RW175 filled 566.99g NQ/M; Primer No15; Shell SX368GF; Fuze L17 Weight 7.330kg

[From Handbook of Land Service Ammunition 1973 (unclassified)]

Bonnex, thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time and answering with all the details.

Cheers,

Bonnex, thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time and answering with all the details.

Cheers,
You are welcome. I expect 1958 was the first year of issue of this round.

Could anyone tell me what the projectile is marked SX752 which is to the left of the canister round. Cheers Mick.

Hi Mick,
As far as I remember the round to the left of the canister round is a Blank or Clearing case. You could always send him a message to see if he can help you with another picture or info.
Best regards Weasel.

Bonnex thank you for that please forgive my not knowing but is it designed to replicate the HE/T shells characteristics in the barrel of the gun. Are they just a solid projectile for this purpose and what is the reason for it having a flat nose. Thanks Mick.