What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round ID required, please.

Cirus

Hi,

With reference to the attached pictures can anyone identify this round, it measures 5 x 1 ins and has a solid lead projectile.

Regards
Cirus

Attachments

• PA220001 [800x600].JPG
    PA220001 [800x600].JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 148
  • PA220008 [800x600].JPG
    PA220008 [800x600].JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 92
1" Aiming Rifle ?

Hi Cirus, well having looked over my pictures and not found the one I had in mind, my reckoning is that it is a Naval 1" inch Aiming Rifle" round.
Looks like the case is "Kynoch" produced at "KN" (Standish I think ?) or is it "Kings Norton" more likely-only a guess as I am not very good on oldies !
Lead Bullet will have a copper "gas check" on the rear inside the case.

The others here will give you a definitive answer for sure.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

1 in Aiming round ID

looking in my book that covers British Small Arms it shows the head stamp in photo as ' cartridge aiming rifle 1 inch electric mkIV' first approved 1897 and having the King's Norton type primer as opposed to the Morris pattern. it should have a leadbullet with 3 cannelures and no gas check, propellant wuould have been black powder.
Hope this is of help, found the info while trying to ident a similar case marked V.S.M. in a straight line and small perc. cap, probably mg but still working on it.

I have this drawing if any help. Tony.

Attachments

• 1inch aiming rifle.jpg
    1inch aiming rifle.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 64
Images of two old examples

from ebay on now, projectiles pushed in 1881

Attachments

• 1881c1.jpg
    1881c1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 1881c2.jpg
    1881c2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 45
1" Nordenfelt

The last pics of the E-Bay offering is of a 1" Nordenfelt cart. as we can't see the projectile properly, I can't tell if it is complete with correct projectile.

Regards Ozzi.

Some diagrams from the 1915 Treatise of Ammunition.

Attachments

• pg527 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Electric MKV.JPG
    pg527 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Electric MKV.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • pg528 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Electric Cordite MKIC.JPG
    pg528 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Electric Cordite MKIC.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
  • pg529 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Percussion MKIL.JPG
    pg529 Cart Aiming Rifle 1in Percussion MKIL.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been away. Anyway, many thanks for those replies but my round does not appear to be like the ones you have mentioned. With reference to the pictures in my original post, there is only a hole in the case just below the top rim. Also there is painted on the other side of the projectile a small red dot. I really do hope you can help me out on this one!

Regards
Cirus

2pounder said:
Hope this is of help, found the info while trying to ident a similar case marked V.S.M. in a straight line and small perc. cap, probably mg but still working on it.

Please could you post a photo of this round?

Gspragge said:
from ebay on now, projectiles pushed in 1881

Why do I never see these things? I would have bought those just for the cases.

Last edited:
1"

Cirus. 2pounder is certainly correct that the case of your round is from a 1 inch Aiming Rifle Mark IV, made by Kings Norton Metal Co. (K.N.M.Co), with the Kings Norton patent electric primer. (Both the KN and the Morris electric primer were used with the Mark IV).

The projectile in your case is not correct though. It should be more pointed and unpainted. Perhaps someone has taken an old fired case and cast an approximation of a bullet? I do not know. It is often impossible to come to an opinion of a round without actually handling it, but my impression is that your round has been put together for some reason - perhaps for instruction?

I doubt if you will ever know why someone chose to drill a hole in the case, but I am quite certain it was not there on the original round.

Regards
TonyE

1881 ebay 1 inch

I was told they had lead projectiles, so if original were used for the aiming gun. Could Nordenfelt cases be reused for that, they seem to be the same.
Ebay of course pulled them, but I have an email contact if any one wants to make an offer on them, contact me and I will give it to you.

Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback. Firstly, the hole in the case does seem odd, my first thought is that it would be there to prevent the round being used for its intended purpose? Secondly, with reference to the attached picture (which shows the red dot) what normally would the red and white rings mean? Incidently, the length of the round is approx 60mm. Possibly more, because it would appear that this projectile was more pointed. And Falcon there are two pictures already at the top of this thread also is there something missing from your last post?

Regards
Cirus

Attachments

• Red dot.JPG
    Red dot.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 29
1 inch cases

Re earlier ref to cases I was trying to fully ident I've taken some photos. Note one case shows higher set of indent marks of the earlier? smaller size. All cases are over the std length and are uneven at the top could be stretched on firing? The 'V' has been struck with a damaged stamp which is very poor from a quality point although looking at some other commercial ammo the markings are often below the service standard. I dont think VSM supplied British 1 inch rounds mg or ar although I have a reloaded by VSM case (MKII C perc) ex Navy.
My real questions are why are they like they are? and what sort of projectile should they have? any ideas please.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback. Firstly, the hole in the case does seem odd, my first thought is that it would be there to prevent the round being used for its intended purpose? Secondly, with reference to the attached picture (which shows the red dot) what normally would the red and white rings mean? Incidently, the length of the round is approx 60mm. Possibly more, because it would appear that this projectile was more pointed. And Falcon there are two pictures already at the top of this thread also is there something missing from your last post?

Regards
Cirus

I did not mean your round in my post, I meant the round "2pounder" said he was trying to ID. I was also talking about the rounds Gspragge saw on eBay.

I have never seen the projectile on these rounds painted before, maybe someone did that to it later.

Here is a drawing, there is nothing about markings mentioned here.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.johnson/arms/aim.jpg

Hi Falcon,
Thanks for that reply, it would appear it is an aiming round and the painted rings would have been applied for effect later, purely decorative!
Thanks again to all who replied!
Regards
Cirus

Whoever painted it must have had some knowledge of British shells, as the colours are correct (as in are found in that combination on British shells).

HI Falcon,

Sorry for the delay, but good point ref those painted rings, what do they mean?

Regards
Cirus