What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round With Link

jeeeensy

I wasn't sure where to post this as it is a smallish round but still a largish projectile, it was given to me some twenty five years ago and not 100% sure

Stamped
2Pr Mk11
ECC
Lot 508

Attachments

• Round withj link.jpg
    Round withj link.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 139
This is a 2 Pounder (40x157mm Rimmed) round for the 2 Pounder anti aircraft gun, which was basically an enlarged Vickers machine gun. This gun was used on British Navy ships early in WW2.

Here's another pic showing the rounds being assembled crimped and put into links. I belive this was taken at Bull point in plymouth circa WW2.
Best Weasel.

Attachments

• bull2.jpg
    bull2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 70
links.

2 pdr links are as rare as the Hotchkiss base fuses ive been after for ages. Good luck Gspragge !!!

Hi here's a few pictures of the links - I don't know much about links but as you can see there are 2 types here.
Dave.

Attachments

• 14th November 2008 001.jpg
    14th November 2008 001.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 14th November 2008 002.jpg
    14th November 2008 002.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 14th November 2008 003.jpg
    14th November 2008 003.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 14th November 2008 004.jpg
    14th November 2008 004.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 49
Links are actually --

These are even better, but they certainly resemble the American link - Ah something new learned !

PS I was asking about the 2pdr. links more out of interest for others as I don't collect that kind (yet) But I do collect the Cobra 37x145r types so that is a much more serious matter ! - these are hard to get (as far as I know) they all likely went to Russia with all those Airacobras that everyone else hated on lend lease.

Attachments

• Links.jpg
    Links.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi, thanks for that. Very interesting. I'll now put them on the Cobra rounds of mine.
Dave.

Hi
Let me tell you a story to make you cry. Some years ago an Aerocobra was found in the north of Queensland. The main gun was fully loaded with the belted ammunition. Now I know what condition the rounds were in as a friend was the one who found the plane. The rounds were practically mint for some reason, but the person with my friend was a a real do gooder and whipped off to tell the local coppers. They got the Army involved and of course they blew the ammo up insitu. The plane was destroyed beyond repair. My friend had a good look at the rounds before they were destroyed and they were basically like they were the day they were loaded into the plane. Verey dry heat where the plane was. Sometimes people act without thinking. This isn't a criticism of the UXO mob, so please don't jump in here. What I am saying is that these rounds were salvageable without danger.

Cheers
Iain

S Gun Links or What I had for Dinner !

I think these are S gun links, can any one confirm ?

They look abit small on the 2pdr. AA round and appear to be the Cobra 37mm Gun links, On a Cobra round, they are too long and sloppy ! So does any one have some official images of these regarding the 40mm S Gun ? The Chinn book on Machine Guns covers the S Gun, but with drawings , no clear image of the metal links used. I have no experience with S Gun rounds.
Two images show the Links on and beside a Cobra round - obviously too long and wide.
Next image what I had for dinner - I've eaten a few of these !

If 2pdr.AA links are rare and there were millions of them on His Majesty's Ships and there were Hundreds of Thousands of Airacobra 37mm Links made for 10.000 Airacobras - How Rare are these links for a handful of Huricane S Gun armed aircraft - perhaps the rarest links of all.
I think SG500 / Dave you have a real winner with these.

Attachments

• Cobra links 004.jpg
    Cobra links 004.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Cobra links 007.jpg
    Cobra links 007.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 35
  • CrowDinner.JPG
    CrowDinner.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Possible S gun links??

Hi here's a few pictures of the links - I don't know much about links but as you can see there are 2 types here.
Dave.

A bit of an old thread here but as there was a recent thread on S gun rounds I thought I'd raise this one again.
Is anyone out there good on links. As you'll see from this thread I tried these links on a Cobra round and they're far too slack on the Cobras..........so could they be for an S gun?
Dave.