What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Laboratory Mark II 1883

CultOfOne

Hi All

My latest acquisition a 'Royal Laboratory’s II percussion fuze' dated June 1883. apart from the images below that's all I know about the fuze, if anyone could provide any further documentation or information about this fuze it would be greatly appreciated.

20160515_170301.jpg20160515_170313.jpg20160515_170326.jpg
20160515_170340.jpg20160515_170417.jpg20160515_170519.jpg
fuzepercussion2.jpg

It is my understanding that the original nomenclature for this fuze was - Fuze, Percussion R.L. Plain Mk. II. However, towards the end of the nineteenth century, to avoid confusion, named fuzes were allocated a number. This fuze became the No. 7.

This fuze was intended for use by Land Service in all Rifled Breech Loaders up to 80 Pr. and in Naval Service with 7 and 9 Pr. Rifled Muzzle Loaders. The exception in both sevices being the 7 Pr. double shell.

TimG

It is my understanding that the original nomenclature for this fuze was - Fuze, Percussion R.L. Plain Mk. II. However, towards the end of the nineteenth century, to avoid confusion, named fuzes were allocated a number. This fuze became the No. 7.

This fuze was intended for use by Land Service in all Rifled Breech Loaders up to 80 Pr. and in Naval Service with 7 and 9 Pr. Rifled Muzzle Loaders. The exception in both sevices being the 7 Pr. double shell.

TimG
I’m a bit new to this does the 80 Pr mean pounder?
Would a percussion fuse be used with shrapnel balls or are the balls from a timed fuse shell only?

This fuze is documented in the following books :
Handbook for 7-PR Rifled M.L. Steel gun of 200lb
Handbook for 9-PR R.M.L. guns of 6-CWT & 8-CWT
Handbook for 9-PR R.M.L. guns of 6-CWT. & 8-CWT.
Handbook for the 13-PR rifled ML gun of 8 CWT
Handbook for the 16-PR rifled M.L. gun of 12 CWT
Handbook for the 25-pr rifled M.L. gun of 18 CWT
Handbook for 40-PR Rifled B.L. Guns
Handbook for 40-PR R.B.L. Guns of 32 and 35 CWT
Handbook for the 80-PR rifled M.L. converted gun of 5 tons, on sliding carriage
Treatise on ammunition 2nd edition
Handbook of artillery materiel

Most of them are available here : https://find.slv.vic.gov.au/discovery/search?vid=61SLV_INST:SLV&lang=en (Victoria State Library)

Cheers,

S.

This fuze is documented in the following books :
Handbook for 7-PR Rifled M.L. Steel gun of 200lb
Handbook for 9-PR R.M.L. guns of 6-CWT & 8-CWT
Handbook for 9-PR R.M.L. guns of 6-CWT. & 8-CWT.
Handbook for the 13-PR rifled ML gun of 8 CWT
Handbook for the 16-PR rifled M.L. gun of 12 CWT
Handbook for the 25-pr rifled M.L. gun of 18 CWT
Handbook for 40-PR Rifled B.L. Guns
Handbook for 40-PR R.B.L. Guns of 32 and 35 CWT
Handbook for the 80-PR rifled M.L. converted gun of 5 tons, on sliding carriage
Treatise on ammunition 2nd edition
Handbook of artillery materiel

Most of them are available here : https://find.slv.vic.gov.au/discovery/search?vid=61SLV_INST:SLV&lang=en (Victoria State Library)

Cheers,

S.
Wow, I'll take a look through later thanks

Wow, I'll take a look through later thanks
Thanks I took a quick look at one of the manuals online and there it is and without the ball bearings. So I'm now presuming that the ball bearings are not linked to using the mk II percussion fuse.

Are those numbers on the fuse the dates it was made and checked over?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_152913_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_152913_com.android.chrome.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 14