What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 100mm AP - Identification

RichardB

Premium Member
Hi - Can anyone help identify this projectile I picked up at Detling more precisely. There are no markings but it is definitely 100mm dia

As far as I can tell its a Russian BR-412 and definitely not a BR-412B or BR-412D variants both of which "appear" more modern.
I don't believe the suffixes used on Russian rounds incremented in the same way we'd expect a MK no to on British and UK rounds, and I'm also no master of the cyrillic alphabet.

If this is a BR-412 projectile, does that make it WW2 dated, does anyone know if there was a variant before the BR-412B (Presumably A?), and when these rounds came into service.

My skepticism about this being war dated is the complexity of the drive band - but I do seem to recall seeing a photo somewhere of a line up of Russian rounds, and the 100mm was like this, the others all had simple flat profiles

Russian 100mm.jpg

Cheers
Rich

(The round is of course a completely inert lump of slightly pitted metal)

Hy Rich,

this is a 100mm BR-412 projectile.
As I know, product started at 1944.
If this is a WW2 made projectile, so you are very lucky, becuase this is really rare (in my opinion). And very rare in this nice condition!

Looks definately like a BR-412.
As for the date you should look up all markings on your projectile. If you are not sure what you have and see there just post images here.
The BR-412 should be the earliest model but I do not know till when they were made and when the successors were adopted.
The suffix letters behind the 412 are not issued in alphabetical order (Cyrillic order is different from Latin anyways). Also keep in mind that the same suffix letter on 2 different projectiles can have different meanings (some piblications do say so wrongly).

Thanks All, especially the pics and link.
Ill have a look at the projectile again this evening with a magnifying glass, and see if I missed anythign first time !!

...just a shame I didnt pickup the second projectile that was for sale, as there were two!.

Cheers
Rich

As far as i know the "B" suffix denotes first modification while the "D" is second modification.
The "A" suffix doesn't represent development sequence, it usually means cast iron body

Vince, often but not always since as said the letters do not have the same meaning on every index they are part of. An often mistaken fact.