What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 37mm ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have posted pictures here of a newly acquired Russian 37mm projectile. It is not a model that I have seen before and would be grateful for any information that anyone may have on it. It has a boat tailed base below the copper driving band and what looks like a PD fuze. Does anyone recognise the base markings? It was found in the Baltic States.

The fuze looks like a scaled down version of the late 1890/1900 Russian fuzes of the day. The larger fuze is dated 1892 - can anyone provide the designation for each of these fuzes? It came with a standard Russian 37mm case dated 1904 with stab marks and I have no way of knowing if this is the original case, other than the fact that the projectile has no corresponding groove below the driving band for the indents to grab to.

All comments welcomed

D

S4200037.jpgS4200040.jpgS4200038.jpgs4200039.jpg

The same were supplied to Spain by Russia during the Civil War. The boat tail design is modern for ww1 generally except
for French D shells, and the single copper band points to late ww1 or post war. Of course if we knew what guns these
were supplied for it would help with the casing. There is also a tracer type more or less in the form of the German 37mm tracer.
The markings don't look "Imperial" so if any one can make sense of those it would be a great help.