What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian Bakelite TM-62P mine with a Bakelite MV-62 pressure fuze

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a Russian TM-62P anti tank mine, fuzed with the MV-62 fuze. The TM-62P is a Bakelite mine, fuzed with the bakelite MB-62 which contains a minimum amount of metal. therefore, mine is difficult to find with a metal detector. The TM-62P is a less known mine when compared to the Bakelite TM-62P2 fuzed with the Bakelite MVP-62 fuze which is quite common.

The MV-62 fuze stands out as -in contrast to all other Russian anti tank mine fuzes- it has no lower fuze body. The fuze consists of an upper body (1) with a weakend rim (2), and a rotor (3) containing a firing pin housing (4) with a duplex detonator (5) screwed in the lower part of the firing pin housing. The rotor is suspended by two ring shaped steel springs (6) connected to two lugs inside the upper body. When safe, the rotor with the firing pin mechanism is rotated out of line and cannot be activated. By removing the –metal- safety clip (7) on top of the fuze housing and pushing down the button (8) the rotor (3) with the firing pin mechanism is rotated appr. 70 degrees to the vertical position, rendering the mine live. There is no delay gear train so arming is instantanious. The spring loaded firing pin (9) is kept in tensioned position by two wedges (10) that fall half over the chamfered front end of the firing pin, and half in two rectangular slots in the firing pin housing (4). When a vehicle drives over the fuze -when armed- the weakened rim (2) shears under the weight and the firing pin mechanism is pushed down with the duplex detonator on the booster (11); the firing pin mechanism is fixated on the booster and cannot move down further, but the rotor (3) keeps moving downward. This allows the wedges (10) to move outward into a wider part inside the rotor, releasing the firing pin to move down into the duplex detonator which explodes and ignites the booster charge. This will detonate the mine.

The TM-62P can also be fuzed with the; MVZ-62, MVN-72, MVN-62, MV-62, MVD-62, MVCh-62, MVP-62 or UMP fuze.

The mine is a track breaker and will also wreak havoc to the wheels and suspension of armoured cars and trucks.

Data:
Diameter of the mine body : 340 mm
Height of the mine body : 90 mm
Height of mine fued with the MB-62 fuze : 112 mm
Weight of the mine : 11 kg
Explosive charge : 7,6 kg (TNT?)

Attachments

• 01 - TM-62P anti tank mine.jpg
    01 - TM-62P anti tank mine.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 02 - TM-62P safe.jpg
    02 - TM-62P safe.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 03 - TM-62P armed.jpg
    03 - TM-62P armed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 04 - MB-62 fuze in safe position with numbers.jpg
    04 - MB-62 fuze in safe position with numbers.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi pzgr40
MB-62 or MV-62 ? - my opinion MV-62 .
Russian litera ,,B,, - V
Russian litera ,,Б,, - B
Akon

Thanks Akon, I will change it now I still can.
By the way, I also exchanged picture 03, as the push button was standing in the upper position and it should be in the lower position after arming. Just a detail...but...

Attachments

• 03 - TM-62P armed button.jpg
    03 - TM-62P armed button.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
The fuze's designation in Cyrillic is 'МВ-62'. As such in all common English transliteration systems (Wikipedia link) it would be referred to as the 'MV-62'. It is 'MV-62' in the entry (link) I wrote some time ago for the munitions database system I manage the many of the entries for. I'm not sure about German, as the Cyrillic 'В' is commonly transliterated as a 'W' is many documents I have to hand.

Hi pzgr40
Thanks for the precise approach to the matter!

PS: Yes, I have a new proposal II.
It is possible to add originál ДУ-62 transl. DU-62 .
Akon

Last edited:
Ho Eggburt1969
In Czech, when we translate the original Russian name, MB-62, into Czech, we translate it as follows: MV-62, i.e. we will not use the letter (W) at all.it is not a phonetic but a literal translation.
On the contrary in Poland :
ORIGINAL : MB-62 / Polish translation is MW-62.
So Poland, Germany, etc. preferred the phonetic solution..
Akon

Ho Eggburt1969
In Czech, when we translate the original Russian name, MB-62, into Czech, we translate it as follows: MV-62, i.e. we will not use the letter (W) at all.it is not a phonetic but a literal translation.
On the contrary in Poland :
ORIGINAL : MB-62 / Polish translation is MW-62.
So Poland, Germany, etc. preferred the phonetic solution..
Akon
I just stick to the BGN/PCGN transliterated version (as I'm British) and always stick in original Cyrillic version after this in parenthesis. Yes, I'm aware Poland uses a 'W' for the Cyrillic 'В'.

As the original Cyrillic version is in every entry I write, along with every other version of the designation I can find, whoever reads the entry can transliterate the original Cyrillic in whatever way they please!

TM-62
TM-62B (TM-62V) bez tela, vyrobený z mimoriadne odolnej voči silnému účinku tuhej trhaviny VVO-32;
TM-62D (TM-62D) s dreveným telom;
TM-62M (TM-62M) s kovovým telom;
TM-62P (TM-62P) s plastovým telom;
TM-62P2 (TM-62P2) s plastovým telom;
TM-62P3 (TM-62P3) s nákupným telom;
TM-62T (TM-62T) s puzdrom na papier impregnovaným epoxidovou živicou.

ТМ-62Б (TM-62B) без коризогова, без коризопуса, прочного к механическим вогверомемезеворомез воздирем воздирем воздогопуса вчатого вещества ВВО-32;
— ТМ-62Д (TM-62D) s деревянным корпусом;
— ТМ-62М (TM-62M) s металлическим корпусом;
— ТМ-62П (TM-62P) s пластмассовым корпусом;
— ТМ-62П2 (TM-62P2) s пластмассовым корпусом;
— ТМ-62П3 (TM-62P3) s полиэтиленовым корпусом;
— ТМ-62Т (TM-62T) s тканевым корпусом пропитанным эпоксидной смолой.

Тротил Т Гексоген Г или А-IX-I Смесь тротила с гексогеном по 50% ТГі -50 Сместрьтина 5 % ТСместрьтина % ротила, гексогена a алюминия ТГА Морская смесь МС Платтичная вВлтичная V- 4. онит с содержанием тротила 50 % А- 50 Аммонитре 2% теАонит сожанием тротила -80 Амонитре 2% теАонит сожанием тротила -701 profil 80. Инертное вещество ИНЕРТ Имитирующее вещество (вспышка, дым)т олщина полоским 7-1007

Attachments

• -e-WF9dHFkY.jpg
    -e-WF9dHFkY.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 11
  • lAZVd2-NbyQ.jpg
    lAZVd2-NbyQ.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 11
  • N7n08-v-Mss (1).jpg
    N7n08-v-Mss (1).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 11
  • qAg4xB0wuHQ (1).jpg
    qAg4xB0wuHQ (1).jpg