What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian Butterflies

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, These nasty little suckers are scattered all over Afghanistan (along with a hell of a lot of other stuff). Have a great New Years and no matter where you are be grateful youre not there. Cheers

Last edited:
Im surprised that the PFM 1 shown on the warning poster is an inert practice model (shown by the Y cut into the wing) Im a supporter of Mines Advisory Group , which is a charity that teaches locals of the countries how to identify and remove mines from their soil . Rather than other organisations that clear them for them .Happy New year to you All
Steve

Hi Steve, The practice mine in the photo is from my collection (live ones don't make great collectables). I added a photo from an old defence quarterly publication for interest sake (it's not a poster as such). Cheers

Hi Chris it looks very good, being a supporter of MAG they have very kindly supplied over the years a lot of their warning posters, which hopefully very soon i will display on here , i seem to have built up a small collection of them .years ago i collected mines of all types , all i have left now are some maps and posters

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the PFM-1 a copy of the USA made BLU43 b ,or is the american one a copy of the ussr PFM-1

Attachments

• images_T_T3025UL001.JPG
    images_T_T3025UL001.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 56
  • BLU43B_scheme.JPG
    BLU43B_scheme.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi Spotter, the PFM-1 mine is a reverse-engineered copy of the US BLU-43 mine that first showed up shortly after the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.

I was at the "Airborne Eastboure" airshow in summer 2003, they had one of these mines on a stand run by the EOD with some various munitions on show. They told me that it was triggered after being stepped on a certain number of times. He said "your friend might step on it and be fine, then you step on it and it blows your foot off".