What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian KhF 1 Chemical Mine

I wouldn't talk too much, I just deleted about 30 of yours!

I do not believe in the existence of these bombs. There are no documents, no models or ready-made bombs at the bases of chemical weapons storage.

One thing that I've learned in many years of working in this business is that one's "belief" has little to do with whether something existed or not. I have spent decades looking for information and examples on US items, and still I am surprised on a regular basis.

In general I have found information on weapons systems and ordnance much easier to locate in the West than in the former Warsaw Pact. In trying to research pre-1946 chemical ordnance in Russia I repeatedly found information blocked by Govt offices at every turn. Even in searching for WWI ordnance I was met with refusal for the most basic of information. When, through the assistance of one individual in a Russain Govt office, I was given permission to visit the Artillery and Engineer Museum and access the storage area, this was later found out by other Govt officials in another office and protested at the highest international levels (before the full Executive Council session at the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons). This, because we photographed a dozen WWII chemical projectiles.

I bring this up not to criticize the Govt's actions, every Govt has it's secrets, but to illustrate how difficult it is to research in some areas and how strongly information is hidden. Researching these things is difficult in the best of circumstances. Looking for info on WMD in Russia, regardless of the era, is not the easiest thing to do.

As I mentioned earlier, I have found the reports done by Kirsch to have been highly accurate, if suffering from a lack of illustrations. He was a German's German, with very detailed reports and information. It was based on his information that many of the illustrations above (and elsewhere) were based. Bit by bit over the years we have been able to replace many of the illustrations with actual photos. I have little doubt that that will continue.

Eventually Russia will be forced to clean up the old areas that are kept off limits to the public, and information on many of these historical pieces will trickle out. Long nights of discussion with colleagues who used to work these areas while in the Soviet military confirms that much is there, there is still much to be learned.