What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian ML-8 booby trap igniter parts

pzgr40

Premium Member
I was able to borrow a ML-8 booby trap mechanism as to put it into a 3D drawing. It is quite complete exept for one part, the ring or ring halves keeping the steel ball inward that keeps the firing pin for the initial firing cap in safe position. As I understand from the drawing and description, a wire (red arrow) is wound a number of time around these scale halves (purple arrow)? If they are scale halves..... Pulling away this wire after removing the red cap initiates the firing pin. Or am I wrong. Who knows what this mechanism looks like exactly?

Attachments

• ontsteekmechanisme.jpg
    ontsteekmechanisme.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 42
  • ML-8-Model.jpg
    ML-8-Model.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I was able to borrow a ML-8 booby trap mechanism as to put it into a 3D drawing. It is quite complete exept for one part, the ring or ring halves keeping the steel ball inward that keeps the firing pin for the initial firing cap in safe position. As I understand from the drawing and description, a wire (red arrow) is wound a number of time around these scale halves (purple arrow)? If they are scale halves..... Pulling away this wire after removing the red cap initiates the firing pin. Or am I wrong. Who knows what this mechanism looks like exactly?
Almost. But it's more tricky. I'll post the description later....

in the meantime I'll post a couple of photos with the components of the ML-8 and a couple of photos of the didactic model I made.

Attachments

• CE81E738-9CE8-43AE-A520-7042956B01FF.jpeg
    CE81E738-9CE8-43AE-A520-7042956B01FF.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 18.43.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 18.43.27.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 18.43.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 18.43.48.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 29
I am looking forward to your awnser
Here we are.
The description is taken from an unofficial manual but coincides with what is reported on CAT-UXO. I believe I have a Russian manual somewhere that describes both the ML-8 and the ML-7. As soon as I have time I'll start looking.

Attachments

• ARMING.jpg
    ARMING.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 16
It is about the purple part (a two halves ring ? I suppose), and the way the nylon wire keeps it in it's place. Also the red cap on the exaple I drew does not have the wire connected to the red cap, so I suppose it has a small bead or something alike it to pull the wire with.
Below the firing cap there is no rotating disc.
Hoping you can help me with the last detail I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• this meachanism.jpg
    this meachanism.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 19
I wrote a 1,750+ word description on its operation and general use for the company I work for some time ago, but I'm interested to see if anyone else figures out how it works, as it took me some head scratching. Plus I'm not 100% sure I got it right?

Let's just say that the bit in the igniter assembly, which operates the striker ball release system isn't shown in the sectional diagram in the Soviet/Russian manual.

The bit that the igniter pull-cord is attached to can be seen in some images if you search.

Just found a picture on the internet showing the plate over the firing cap. So just got a very little further

Attachments

• 16398144.jpg
    16398144.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well, I improved the drawing by adding the slider (yellow), but logic tells me that the order of functioning is that the slider is first rotated away from the firing cap hole, and than the firing cap is ignited. With the other way around the slider would not be of much use if the firing cap still ignited the pyrotechnic fuze. SO the question is , how do you pull a rope and first rotate a slider and than release a ball that releases the firing pin

Attachments

• met schuif.jpg
    met schuif.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 8