What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian PFM-1 APERS "Butterfly" or "Toepopper"

Slick

I searched for a thread to add this one to, to no avail.

The PFM-1 differs from the BLU-43 Dragontooth in explosive mixture content and size but are similar in function. The BLU-43 was first used by the U.S. in VietNam. The PFM-1 gained fame in Russia's expedition in Afghanistan.
This particular specimen was a "bring-back", from years ago.
I've included some drawings of the BLU-43 for comparison. Maybe someone has an example they post.

Mine. Russia, Toepopper 001 (Small).jpg Mine. Russia, Toepopper 002 (Small).jpg Mine. Russia, Toepopper 003 (Small).jpg Mine. Russia, Toepopper 004 (Small).jpg Mine. Russia, Toepopper.jpg

Mine, Russia, Toepopper.jpg Mine Russia, Toepopper.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
Rick,

Yes, the PFM-1 looks like the Dragonstooth, except it is 3 times larger. The Russians copied the Dragonstooth shape, but they always seem to want to make things bigger than original. Also the PFM-1 is a thicker flexible plastic whereas the Dragonstooth is a harder more brittle thin-walled plastic. Most likely, since the PFM-1 was heavier due to size, they had to beef up the wall thickness so it wouldn't get punctured on impacting the ground. The Dragonstooth mines are very light.