What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian RS-78 rocket

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
In France we learn that german 8cm Raketensprenggrante was a copy of russian RS-78 rocket.
I've never seen an original specimen of this russian rocket, nor a diagram.
Can anyone help ?

8 cm R-Sprgr was patterned after the M-8, i.e. a derivative of the RS-82, with slight dimensional changes and modifications (like thermal arming of the fuze, ignition system with two built in igniters instead of an external "pyropistol" or angled fins inducing rotation in flight).

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
I think there is a big mistake in our EOD courses, that's why I wanted your opinions.

You may be interested to know that the factory designation was R-8, R-8/b, R-8 I, R-8-II ....
The military designation was: 8cm Spr-R.
Most of the drawings are dated 1943...
One of the latest designs is:
Drawing 8cm R-Sprenggranate 013B 1663, Dated 6/9/1944;
(for an idea of the production documentation, it contains 133 drawings + a large number of production procedures of individual components, including ammunition packaging)
Other modifications of the rocket are labeled:
Drawing R 8-II, Assembly of the rocket , DV 100019, dated 29.11.1944;
Drawing 8cm R-Nebelgranate, BVS 16243, dated 14.11.1944.
For HL versions it is for example:
Drawing 8cm R -HL , Drawing BXS 16211 , Date: undated ,Fuse bomben (66) .
one of the other points of interest is:M 8 Druckbombe, BXP 1130, dated 20.4.1943
It is stated in the literature that the design of the initial version of the rocket was from the Development Center in Příbram, i.e. the main designer was R. Engel. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Engel
In order to improve the already established design in the Waffenn SS, 2 design offices were definitely in play, one based in Prague and the other in Vsetín within Zbrojovka Brno.Each had slightly different designs and together they competed for a better construction.

According to correspondence about development and production, the customer: SS-Zentralzeugamtes. His member, Generalmajor Heinrich Gärtner.
Akon.

Test firings prove this fact.
Akon

Last edited: