What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian Sea Mine

MT-LB

Premium Member
Hello,
does anybody here has some more informations about this russian sea mine?

Attachments

• Russ Seemine-a.jpg
    Russ Seemine-a.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 88
The only mine that has three horns on the top , that i can find is the Mine M Ya M
Diameter21 inches
firing ststem Chemical Horn
laid by surface craft
contains 44Lb TNT
has 3 , lead horns equally spaced around top half
Could this be the one ?
Steve

Hello Steve,
thank you for your info, but guess the M Ya M is not the one.

Now at a closer look I found markings PDM 3Ya - that could be the fadet off stenclings.
I found this now http://www.snariad.ru/mines/mines_pdm3/ but would like any other information about it.

Thanks Erik

Erik,

This is as you say a PDM-3ya mine.The red white cross means a exercise model.The real thing is painted black or green.This is a small river mine also used as a anti-landing mine .
It has 3 chemical horns on top.In the center of the mine (the real thing) is housed the arming switch.The electrical leads of the mine come together in this arming switch and the arming switch is connected with the detonator.It contains a soluble plug and when the mine is dropped in the water the plug is desolved by the water.This closes the switch and the arming of the mine is in place.When a ship hits the mine and a horn is broken,the acid in the horn leaks on a zink carbon plate sitting under the horn.The two together form a battery and a electrical current is made to detonate the detonator and thus the mine.
PDM3Ya.jpg

This is also a exercise version with exercise horns.

Vince

....and the fuzes.................

....and here the contact switch assembly and one of the horns........
Mrfuze, USA

Attachments

• ZK-ZYa, 1, USSR,.JPG
    ZK-ZYa, 1, USSR,.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 51
  • PP-3 Ya, 1, USSR,.jpg
    PP-3 Ya, 1, USSR,.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 42
Russian Chemical Horn Mine;

Sir:
Your mine is indeed a Russian M-Yam Moored Chemical Horn Mine laid by surface craft. The mine has three chemical horns, each containing a glass vial of acid surrounded by a hollow lead 'horn'. When the vial is broken the acid sumberges two dissimilar metals forming a primary batter which fires and electric detonator. Its near cousin the russian M-08 (manufactured in 1908), having four such horns was recently copied and used by Iran in the Gulf War.
Regards,
John aka Bart
If I was back in Va. Beach, VA I could send you a sectioned drawing of it.
It is a beauty and in good shape. Do you own it?

Russian Mine;

sir;
I wonder if PDM is a Russian designation? M-Yam is a U.S. Navy designation for this mine.
Regards,
John aka Bart

M-Ya-m is not a USN designation,it is a Russian designation.
This is not a Myam mine,this is a Russian PDM-3YA mine.

Thanks again for the input, but I think its like @taucher wrote, as PDM 3Ya is clearly stamped on the mine body around the contact assembly opening.
So I think this is no more question about, but any sectioned drawings would be interesting.
@John D. Bartleson Jr. - no its not my collection its in a museum in Germany - see here www.wehrtechnikmuseum.de
Erik

It contains a soluble plug and when the mine is dropped in the water the plug is desolved by the water.This closes the switch and the arming of the mine is in place.When a ship hits the mine and a horn is broken,the acid in the horn leaks on a zink carbon plate sitting under the horn.The two together form a battery and a electrical current is made to detonate the detonator and thus the mine.
This is also a exercise version with exercise horns.
I'm no expert on russian mines, but what you see on the photo isn't the actual horns, but the protective steel-covers. These covers are spring-loaded, and the spring is released by a wire going too all horns from the arming unit in the centre. When the soluble plug dissolves, this wire releases, and the covers are "popping" off, revealing the horns. I beleive you can see the "forks" locking the covers on the drawing in the post above this (the wire is not shown though).

I might be able to take a photo of this system (I don't remember if it was installed on this mine or another russian model). I don't know when, but I will put it on my to-do list...

Last edited:
I might be able to take a photo of this system (I don't remember if it was installed on this mine or another russian model). I don't know when, but I will put it on my to-do list...
Until then, here are some illustrations from a similar mine (polish I think, taken from "Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39" )

Attachments

• Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_1.jpg
    Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_3.jpg
    Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_4.jpg
    Typy Broni i Uzbrojenia 20 - Mina Kontaktowa wz. 08-39_Page_4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 20