What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust removal made easy... Really Easy!

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Evapo-Rust (www.evaporust.com)

In my opinion, it's the easiest, safest and most effective way I've found to remove rust. It's non-corrosive, has a neutral Ph, won't harm underlying metal, paint, wood, plastic, etc. and can be used over and over.

All you have to do is dip / soak the item in the solution for anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours and the rust is gone. It really is that simple.

I've use it on helmets, bayonets, medals, grenade castings, etc. and had nothing but great results.

Check out their web-site for full information.

Attachments

• 56z8061s1.jpg
    56z8061s1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 382
OK, so I see on their web site that they have a distributor in Canada (and only 2500km away) and the UK.... but is it safe to ship to that it wont cost an arm or leg....

Evapo-Rust Distributor - U.K.

Technology Packaging Limited
PO Box 44
Northwood
Middlesex
HA6 3RA

T +44 (0)1923 82 83 95
F +44 (0)1923 83 37 54

Ive just contacted the UK distributor who are only down the road to me , will keep you all informed , cost and postage etc

The web site listed in the initial thread says that it can be used to remove gun blue, parkerizing, etc., so don't use it on a gun unless you want the bluing to come off also. Bluing is a rust process.

Hi all,:wavey:

I have just been trying out both Evaporust and Oxalic Acid.

Both give good results though maybe the evaporust has the slight edge over oxalic acid. The oxalic Acid is more cost effective at AUD$26 for 2 Kg which will make up to 20L of mixture as opposed to the evaporust at AUD$50 for 5L wholesale price (AUD$69 retail).

A word of caution though!
  1. I found that on some paints that the Oxalic Acid can change the shade of colour, thought the paint remains unharmed. The paint involved was as below a light khaki spray paint.
  2. That even though it is said that Evaporust with not harm paint, this is not completely true for some paints. I had it soften the paint and make it go all wrinkly. It also removed gun blueing and shellac. The paint involved was a light khaki spray painting on a tin.
It would look as if when it comes to light spray paints that both Evaporust and Oxalic Acid could potentially be damaging.

What I think I will do with items where paint is not an important factor is initially to soak in Oxalic Acid and then a final soak in Evaporust. That way most of the hard work is done by the Oxalic Acid and I will still get the slighly better finish from Evaporust, and at the same time making it last longer, due to it's cost.

Cheers,:cheers:
BOUGAINVILLE

I bought 2 gallons of Evaporust and they arrived today. I immediately pulled 2 of the rustiest pieces of crap I had laying around and dumped them into a 5 gal bucket along with a gal. of the Evaporust.

From what I have seen so far, the stuff is amazing.

I use the stuff...even safe on Cloth...the big trick is to remove the loose rust first if yoiu can..stuff is great!!!!

Dean

Before and after shots of a MK II. I soaked it over night, pulled it out of the bucked and rinsed it off. The fuze was disassembled and the parts were soaked at the same time.

Once everything was rinsed off I dried it and then gave it a quick dip in their rust preventative which is supposed to last for 12 months.

Oh and I used this on a badly rusted cast iron throwing body. It took all the rust off and ate it down to good bare metal. The body comes out black and takes a while to get clean.

Attachments

• MKIIBefore.jpg
    MKIIBefore.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 227
  • MKIIAfter.jpg
    MKIIAfter.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 240
Hi, This is very interesting and sounds much better than the Hamerite that I am using at the moment. I have tried several times using the contact number of the UK dealer but have not had any luck. I could really do with getting some this asap. I recently rescued some bits of bomb etc from an EOD skip in Germany (with the kind permission of those concerned) I am itching to clean some of this up. Is there anyone else in the UK who has this or is it just the one contact. The web has drawn a blank.

Eodtek, are you sure that you post the photos in the right order? Or the grenade was clean and got rusted after? It is impressive the work done by this.... "rust-eater". Could be possible to get one to Spain?

Finally got some of this stuff, a trail piece in the dip as we speak. Will keep you posted.

Well how did you get on? I've a Mod 42 smoke grenade with a fair amount of rust, but i'm keen not to loose the remaining paint finish.

Last edited:
Hi, I sell Evapo Rust in Ireland and can also ship to the UK and Northern Ireland. Please contact me for more information. Thanks.

Finally got some of this stuff, a trail piece in the dip as we speak. Will keep you posted.

Hi Rockteer,
Could you tell me where you managed to find this stuff? I've a 15cm German HE in dire need of a de-rust....
Cheers!

For heavy proljectiles, electrolysis with sodium bicarbonate is effective.
The power supply with a laptop power supply, fast and clean.
Avoid chloridic acid.