What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust removal using an aqueous product

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I think that these type of products are pretty much universally available. The one I used is D-Rust-It (www.D-Rust-I.com).

The example shows a knife blade with areas of both deep and superficial rust. It was immersed for about 4 hours, The blade was black after removal and was cleaned with 600 grit Emory cloth.

It seems that the product actually disolves the rust leaving a network of hollows that sort of look like Damascening.

I know that there are various schools of thought on restoring objects and it is an area that I have been concerned with in my other interests. I have personally come out on the side of sensible cleaning. That is that often I have found markings that wad gone unnoticed on unpolished brass. Also, since most of my stuff is displayed, some cleaning makes for a more attractive showing.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40