What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-44 variant

BerdanIII

Is this a variant of the S-44 mine or something else? It seems to have an extra detonator hole.

Attachments

• mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
  • mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 37
  • mine3.jpg
    mine3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 38
  • mine4.jpg
    mine4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 48
Thanks very much! Those pictures were from another website and the owner wanted to know whether or not it was French. If not, he was going to sell it. I have forwarded your photo to him.

So it's a French mine . I always thought it to be Dutch. Here a cutaway model of the mine from my own collection. It seems to have a pull fuze on a wire and a pyrotechnic delayed detonator as a "back up". To my regret the pyotechnic -screwed in - delay pellet is missing.
What fuze is used to activate the mine?
Thanks for the info, regards , DJH

Attachments

• M-Mortiermijn-Ned-02-sec.jpg
    M-Mortiermijn-Ned-02-sec.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
HI!

I'm the guy with the mystery mine. I just reg'd for this site. My mine does NOT have the bumps on the sides of the cannister, although it is quite similar.
Is there any guys on the site from France who might be able to help???
On Gunboards, there is quite the wonderful group of guys who know what they are talking about!!!!!
THANX to BerdanIII !!!!!

Ron

Hi frenchy,
The object in your possession seems to be only the bounding body of the mine without the launch tube, characterized by the bumps that you have seen in my photo.
Regards
stecol

Hi Frenchy, it seems that your mine is most probaly a post war copy of the s-mine 44 as it dosn't relate to any s-mine 35 or 44s i have or anything German in the manuals, it could be an early design of the French version as most German mine designs were wildly copied after the war. The base of a WW2 German s-mine 44 is stepped rather than flat, the top has only one det plug. If it is German then it would be clearly stamped with a three letter code and last two numbers of the year ie brc 44 which is a common marking on s-mine 44's.
It looks like its 99% an M1APMB51/55 minus the pot it bounds out of. The original finish has been painted over.

Last edited: