What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-Mi.Z.44 igniter

BMG50

Premium Member
Since collecting S-Mines for a number of years i have only once, come across one of these which was kindly lent to me, for me to copy to make a replica.The Igniter lent to me came from a reliable source and from a collector who has been collecting for many many years.
There are two types that were made, one the standard type, the other with larger wings. I have searched hi and low and have not found another. There are only about one or two photo's on the web showing these igniters, one photo being suspect to a copy because it has different features to the one that was lent to me and the suspect copy having a code PJJ44 where the correct code should be dbk44.
Because there are not many about its difficult to establish what is and what is not original as i have not found another to compare to the one lent to me.
I wouldn't go by manual drawings of the S-Mi.Z.44 igniter as i have seen drawings of other fuzes and igniters differ to the real thing and the wings of the S-Mi.Z.44 igniter differ drawing to drawing. Does any one else have one of these original igniters in their collection. How rare are they.s444.jpgSMiZ44-%20grd.jpgSMiZ44detail.jpg

Picture one shows my copy. Picture two and three shows the only igniter photos on the web but with a suspect code of PJJ44 and the top of the striker not being correct to the manual drawings.
What do you mine and fuze collectors out there think.

Last edited:
:congrats:Excellent job, mate, very well done !!

Obviously a perfect copy of this highly rare igniter; most collectors haven't seen yet proper pictures, let alone a contemporary piece, me too.

I had a look at some up dated codes and the code does exist. Staatliche Munitionsfabrik, Kopenhagen. Found on ammunition head-stamps, this company makes small arms Ammunition. I am wondering why they came to make engineer igniters.

Working with metal usually is not a limit to a sole item. In particular during war time.

Thanks Don for your kind words, since i made the copy i have made a few more, very fiddly to make. Still after more information about the rare beast, quite surprised that little has been said, may be they are really rare after all. I did read reports that these igniters were not that good in the field being really sensitive using the trip wire method when setting up, they were not really reliable activated by foot. Playing with one, it seems that the wings have to be equally moved most of the time, one side trapping the striker pin in place but not always. I wondered if they were used for a short period and then dropped for the more reliable S-Mi.Z.35 three prong igniter, hence the rarity. What do all you other S-Mine and fuze collectors think?

Meanwhile I got my example, thanks a lot, Chris.
I'm very happy with that replica; hat off to the great work you've done with this. Especially the wings are finest precision work.

44dah.jpg A nice couple, seldom seen in intimate togetherness: a " 44 dah" with attached "bmg 12" :wink:, the icing on top of the cake.

I've played with the igniter up and down; it's a bit fiddly to recock, if untrained, and fingers are aching after a while, but in all it works very well and trials will continue.

You wrote: "Playing with one, it seems that the wings have to be equally moved most of the time, one side trapping the striker pin in place but not always."
That's true, but if both wings are under proper pull of tripwires, it works quite well, due to the loose ring on top of the body. It guides both wings, until the first one is triggered and then giving way for the second.

My personal summary about the S.Mi.Z.44:
This late two-in one (pressure/pull) development was a fairly sophisticated attempt to combine properties of both S.Mi.Z 35 & ZZ 35 (expensive to produce) with the simple ZZ 42-technology.
The laying work for the engineer required same efforts as before; possibly the dependability and handling safety was lower.
Obviously there was no shortage of S.Mi.Z.35, ZZ 35 and ZZ 42 until the end of war; the production numbers of S.Mi.Z. 44 are also unknown, but presumably not very high.

Glad you like the piece, nice to see a rare combination, somthing you only see in manuals and drawings. The large winged version must be even rarer than the standard type.

.s442.jpg
Here's a rare site you dont see as well.