What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-mine 35

Panzerknacker

Just to show you guy`s that have never seen inside a s-mine 35 what they look like and the different shrapnell used,
Early shrapnell was ball bearings, left side of mine, then your gran dad bombed the ball bearing factorys to s*** so they changed to,
Late shrapnell that was Chopped up bits of bar and waste metal that was razor sharp right side of picture,
THE RED shows the main charge that sends shrapnell flying after detonation,
The brass tubes are the settings for the mine, delay, etc

quick overview of purpose !

The mine has been made to show the different types of shrapnell used and how the mine operated with the lifting charge in the base the mine detonated on pressure relise or trip wire setting off the lifting charge lifting the mine 6ft into the air blowing up seconds later behind or near the unfortunate victim, taking out any person with in a radious of the blast with shrapnell and torn apart casing causing instant death and injuring any one with in the shrapnell BLAST distance causing cuts, infections and problems that could be life threatning making you burden on your comrades and slowing down the advance

these were copied and used in vietnam war as bouncing betty`s !

enjoy the pic`s

Attachments

• DSC00560.jpg
    DSC00560.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00561.jpg
    DSC00561.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00563.jpg
    DSC00563.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00564.jpg
    DSC00564.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00559.jpg
    DSC00559.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 105
And this is my cutaway S-mine 35.This is early type of S-mine 35.

Last edited:
Hi:
Nice sectioned mines boys, but I have a third type of shrapnel :nerd: I have myself two S.Mi35 with your two shrapnel types, but as I sold a few of them in one I found the third type.

Attachments

• Shrapnel.jpg
    Shrapnel.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67
I have seen those with bearing balls, chopped steel bar and bullet cores also partially mixed. However bullet cores as filling most rarely.

it's an interesting and unusual attempt to show two different, non mixed, varieties of shrapnel in one cutaway display.

@Miguel
I've counted all shrapnel-charges that passed my hands for years and found several more varieties and their mixtures in different proportions.

SMi35-charge no.1.jpg SMi35-charge no.3.jpg SMi35-charge no.6.jpg SMi35-charge no.n.n..jpg

chopped wire can be met in diameters from 5 up to 8mm.

It seems that there is more to the S-Mine than one would realise, as well as the different types of shrapnel there are different types of shipping caps, different water proof seals, outside pots, det and filler plugs and markings etc

Yes, I have two transport plugs: one bakelite made and other iron made. And into these two materials there are different types too. It is a very interesting world, the SMi35 world. Also why the SMi35 is not very hard to find and the SMi44 is scarcer?

Last edited:
Grenademan2005;137861)[COLOR=yellow said:
It is a very interesting world, the SMi35 world. [/COLOR]QUOTE]
yes, indeed, Miguel. well worth to study!
the S.Mi.44 appeared not before May 44 und thousands of S.Mi.35 were still on stock then.
btw: the S.Mi.Z.44 is even more rarer than the mine. I know only two members possessing such a pearl of fuse. I'm not amongst them! :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Yes, I have two transport plugs: one bakelite made and other iron made. And into these two materials there are different types too. It is a very interesting world, the SMi35 world. Also why the SMi35 is not very hard to find and the SMi44 is scarcer?
Here are some versions, there is also a black Bakelite cap to add as well as a slightly different version in shape.

Last edited:
Grenademan2005;137861)[COLOR=yellow said:
It is a very interesting world, the SMi35 world. [/COLOR]QUOTE]
yes, indeed, Miguel. well worth to study!
the S.Mi.44 appeared not before May 44 und thousands of S.Mi.35 were still on stock then.
btw: the S.Mi.Z.44 is even more rarer than the mine. I know only two members possessing such a pearl of fuse. I'm not amongst them! :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Interesting thread with excellent write-ups. :)

Have you got a picture please of the rare fuze? Ive alsorts of brass and bakelite fuzes in the collection but shamefully never checked them properly for numbers?

best

waff

Excellent thread, and information on shrapnel I did not know. The "bullet" shaped shrapnel is very interesting, I have not seen before, thanks for showing this. (you should have kept this Miguel :tinysmile_cry_t4: ) Also the bottom of one S-mine I have never seen (with all the screws in circle)

I notice the others shown have brass det tubes....all I have got have the cardboard type?? It is just depends on the maker I guess?

Here are some pics of my S-mines to add to this thread. The S-Mine case is the wrong color for the mines I know........ but wanted to show the case....it is a style I have not seen very much. The latches are in a different position from most I see, and has nice "Tp".....tropical use markings.

The 44dah S-mine is the "Junkers" factory..... same company who made airplanes. Very interesting I think, I did not now they also made explosive ordnance.

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby

Attachments

• 3&caseS-mines.jpg
    3&caseS-mines.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 44brb175.jpg
    44brb175.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 42
  • P1190015.jpg
    P1190015.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DualBetty.jpg
    DualBetty.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1200008.jpg
    P1200008.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37
  • P3160004.JPG
    P3160004.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 50
  • P3160011.jpg
    P3160011.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 36
  • P3160002.JPG
    P3160002.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 33
Another thing i noticed about the inside components of S-Mines is that some parts, flash tubes and inner shrapnel casings have a blacked finish or a blacked gun finish. Some flash tubes i have, have had a copper wash finish, other parts are straight out of the press, die finished ie shinny fresh produced steel parts. The out side of the mine sealed and painted against the elements. Of course over time they rust up but that is the original finish they came out of the factory.