What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SA-9 warhead close up

VuleM,

Nice photos! Actually, I believe you have shown the GCU (guidance/control unit) or seeker head, and what looks like a proximity fuze behind it. The explosive warhead would be the next item in line towards the tail of the missile.

John

Here is a cross section of a 9M31M

I think the sections are:

1 Seeker

2 Control Surfaces, Gyros and Servos

3 Electronics

4 Warhead

5 Prox Fuze

6 Motor

I'm not sure of 7 and 8

I guess the picture of the pile of boxes posted earlier were not empty.

It looks like the Seeker wiring is cut in the fourth and fith photos.

Attachments

• 9M31M.jpg
    9M31M.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 35
VuleM,

Excellent photos once again! Thank you for sharing. Were these missles dismantelled for classroom use?

Regards,
Alan

Would love to get my hands on one of these. The front part is indeed the seeker/ guidance unit while the next section is the control unit. Tubular structures seen inside are control actuators. Warhead was further aft. Have cutaway pix of this if anybody can tell me how to upload pix. (Techno-neanderthal, F-4 guy and all)

Dave

Thank you, pix to follow shortly. Ref "Don't know what 7 and 8 are. These are elements of the roll stabilization system. Gyro wheels had tape wound around them, end of which was attached to launch container. As the missile flew out of the canister the gyros were thus spun up and were attached via linkage to the control surfaces on the aft fins. Conceptually similar to the rollerons on AIM-9, R-3, R-13, R-60, etc, etc