What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAA Identification

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hi everybody, I'm very not specialized in SAA and I found yesterday a cardboard box of german SAA with a paper label orange and mauve.
This label is marked :

BLAKPATRONEN 33
fer 1942/7
Nz. Pl. Patr. R. P. (1.5 X 1.5/0.75)
walsr. 1942/8
Patrh : 8 (stahl) fer 1942 - hhx 1942
Zdh. 30/40 ad 1942/24

What is that ?

Saa

Are you sure it does not say "Platzpatronen 33"?

This is the standard wood bulletted German training blank. The label says yours were made by

fer 1942/7 Loaded by Metallwerk Wandhofen G.m.b.H., Schwerte/Ruhr, Germany, Lot 7 of 1942
Nz. Pl. Patr. R. P. (1.5 X 1.5/0.75) Nitro-cellulose flake propellant (1.5mm x 1.5mm x o.75mm)
walsr. 1942/8 Walsrode powder Lot 8 of 1942
Patrh : 8 (stahl) fer 1942 - hhx 1942 Cartridge case (steel) Lot 8 of 1942, same manufacturer as above. Not sure who hhx were.
Zdh. 30/40 ad 1942/24 Primer Type 30/40 made by Patronen-Zndhtchen-u. Metallwarenfabrik, Aktiengesellschaft (formally Sellier & Bellot) ,Schnebeck/Elbe, Lot 24 of 1942

Regards
TonyE

Hi yodamaster & TonyE,
hhx is the manufacturer of the carton,M Bohme,Holzwarenfabrik,Grosshartmannsdorf in Sachen

Cheers
Tony

German SAA

Hi Tony, here a pic of the label. Quality is not perfect.
Sorry, but I read "Blakpatronnen"

Thanks for quick answer. To SMLE also.

Attachments

• Marking SAA.JPG
    Marking SAA.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 36
Hi yodamaster & TonyE,
hhx is the manufacturer of the carton,M Bohme,Holzwarenfabrik,Grosshartmannsdorf in Sachen

Cheers
Tony

Tony,
you're a bit off - hhx is the manufacturer of the wooden bullets and by the firm it makes more sense, as its a factory for wooden products.
Erik

Hi Erik,
got the info off the German codes page(ammo boxes codes) from IAA,perhaps they manufactured both?

Cheers
Tony

Tony,
could be, but than the code would be impressed in the cardboard of the box and not been mentioned on the label - there its for sure the manufacturer of the wooden bullets.
Erik

Box

I agree with MT-LB that the box manufacturer would be impressed in the box and not on the label.

The label normally has "gesch" in front of the bullet makers code on the label, but that is missing in this case, perhaps because they are only wooden bullets.

MT-LB; do you think that label is just a badly printed "Platzpatronen"?

Regards
TonyE

I agree with MT-LB that the box manufacturer would be impressed in the box and not on the label.

The label normally has "gesch" in front of the bullet makers code on the label, but that is missing in this case, perhaps because they are only wooden bullets.

MT-LB; do you think that label is just a badly printed "Platzpatronen"?

Regards
TonyE

Tony,
that type of letters are called Stterlin - Suetterlin and if you look for example in the 7,9 book from Brandt - Hamann - Dr Windisch you will find more of such written "tz".
Erik
edit - should have done better research - sorry - but Stterlin was only handwriting and the printed version was called Fraktur.

Last edited: