What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sabot sections

Spaceinvader

Hello all,
got these sabot sections from a friend in the US recently. He knew they where for 105mm rounds, but other than that nothing else. Ive been in talking with Jason (APFSDS) and trying to figure out what they went too.

One is a 120mm M865 (first gen as Jason told me). I am still not sure if it has been fired, but it does have odd cut marks on the edges, can anyone tell me if they are factory or not? A friend sent a picture of a set of fired German 120mm sabots that had the same cuts. The cuts are not equal and are rough. My first thought was someone cut the drive band and ripped the projectile from the case.

The next I couldnt find anything on, but Jason thinks is a DM28. It is from a practice round, but has a black stripe on it, any reason for that? Has been fired, and very similar to the M735 sabots, even fits on the M735 (almost perfectly) but smaller. Has some gas escapes (is there a technical term for them? Have not seen them before) that come up from the base and come out from behind where the driveband would be. I guess it helps with separating the drive band? Has the remains of 3 bolts that would have held on the metal ring that went around the top of the 3 sabots. Anyone have any ideas? 120mm M865 sabot.jpg120mm M865 sabot1.jpg105mm sabot.jpg105mm sabot1.jpg105mm sabots3.jpg105mm sabot4.jpg105mm dummy sabots.jpg105mm dummy sabots1.jpg

Last one I have no idea. I am guessing it is some type of training dummy. Made of some very hard/durable cast rubber or resin, with one section not in it to show the penetrator (if it had one). Also very similar to the M735 dart, but not the same size. The M735 penetrator is too big to fit in it, but has the same locking rings. Also has some gas escapes molded into the side of the sabots and some "bolts" around the top.

Hi I don't have any answers for you but they're nice items, thanks for showing them.

Dave.

The cuts are factory made. There was a problem with breaking the plastic driving band. On the normal place that the sabot would part the plastic driving band was scored with a small circular saw. This was done by hand so that is why there are not equal.