What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD-SC ?? Help any information

Richard709

Hi, Came across this today it is 23.5 inches long and 8 inches in diameter and the fuze well is about 7.7 - 8 inches deep, any information would be great.

Web SD-SC Bomb 001.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 002.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 003.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 004.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 006.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 008.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 009.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 010.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 011.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 012.jpgWeb SD-SC Bomb 013.jpg

A bit rusty and pitted but heavy and solid, probably weighs between 20 - 25kgs.
Richard

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the info, having had a look around at some of the SD50's there seems to be a couple of differences at the fin end of the cases.

There were I believe different types of construction,

body length of SC 50 appears to vary between 670 to 766 mm
body length of SD 50 appears to be 590 mm

the other thing that also appears to me to make this one a SD50 rather than an SC50 is the ring to the rear of the bomb. The fins would attatch to this. The fins of an SC50 have the screw holes almost at the edge of the fins, the SD50 on the other hand has a sleeve that fits over the bomb casing and the screw holes used to attatch the fins are some way down this sleeve. This points also to it being an SD50......however, I may be wrong, so interested in what others think?

regards Kev

Bender, Thank you for that, nice diagram and tells me all I wanted to know, My friend Kev is going to get it an x-ray just to be sure all is well and then it will at some stage in the future get a bit of a makeover.