What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD1 relic Container - Beltring purchase.

Rockteer

Purchased this one from Beltring 2011, did anyone spot it? I felt sorry for it so did the deal, I also thought it would be a bit of fun cleaning and restoring it. Ok, so it is a bit of a relic, but at least it is in one piece - no damage etc. Was anyone concerned about the fuze still located in one of the Fuze pockets? :tinysmile_shutup_t: no need to worry, this is the charger fuze that was responsible for arming the main explosive fuze (not fitted) at the front of the casing. The fuze was marked "laderkopf" with no circled code denoting type of fuze.

First job was to crack her open, easy when you know how, discovered a bolt passing passing through the outer casing into the bottom of the Fuze pocket, once this was undone (with a lot of effort) she finally cracked open, I persume the metal straps inside were part of what secured the little Sd1's inside the container?

So what's next, well I have aquired a dip tank and plan to soak in lots of evaporust, I may repaint or just preserve as is - I am not sure yet.

Thanks to Waff and Satan for their help, also Waff for sorting me out (I hope) with a nice fuze to pop in the front fuze pocket to make her complete. Also thanks to one of our Aussie BOCN friends who helped me back to the car, it did get people moving out of the way!! :tongue:

Ok, this leaves one question, I know very little about these Sd1 bomblets, what areas of combat were they used in? also what sort of dates? and one last thing, what is the official name for this container, I have not found it in my books, the only examples I can find only have the one main fuze?

Thanks for reading.

Dan

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi Dan,

I attach a picture I found on the internet of an SD 1 Container split open with contents intact, showing straps you mention holding the bomblets together. Enjoy WF.Half SD 1 Container.jpg

Hi Dan,

That looks a great project to get your teeth into. That particular container is for 50 SD1's and I believe it was a type that was only used on the Eastern front. I am not sure what the designation was for that particular container but Madbomber may be able to help you further.

As far as the SD1's are concerned, they were dropped over the UK as well as Russia and I assume the rest of Europe?
I have seen a great picture of one of these full of SD1's in a museum, possibly in a thread here on BOCN - if I find it I will post a link.

I look forward to seeing the progress on this one

kind regards Kev

Should make a nice restoration project. Are you going to fill it (with bomblets)? or have it as it would be after delivery?
Hangarman

Mad bomber, wow hadn't seen that pic before, stunning condition, apparently these containers were considered highly dangerious by the Luftwaffe, infact they would not allow an aircraft to land without jettisoning them first. This one appeared to be a Mustard Yellow?? would my container have been yellow? could do with knowing in case I decide to repaint it. Also what fuze would this have beeb fitted with - does anyone know?

Hangerman, so far I have nought SD1's, think I might have to aquire a few as I don't think they are to expensive, might cost a few bob to fill it though but would be pretty impressive.

At last this one is complete! As you can see from the pics I decided to carry out a very sympathetic restoration on this one, lots of cleaning (buy a trusted volunteer) and I am glad to say this one is now very solid, Fitted a new "Stumpy" fuze (with thanks to Waff) a replacement lifting eye after a bit of a re-tap she wound in lovely. To finish it off a good coat of Matt spray varnish and a coat of red oxide on the inside. Probably spent way more than it is worth, but that is not the point. A very enjoyable project and I think you will agree is now a respectable display piece maintaining its original look.

Attachments

• DSCF9726_3.jpg
    DSCF9726_3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF9734_2.jpg
    DSCF9734_2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF9728_1.jpg
    DSCF9728_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 61
At last this one is complete! As you can see from the pics I decided to carry out a very sympathetic restoration on this one, lots of cleaning (buy a trusted volunteer) and I am glad to say this one is now very solid, Fitted a new "Stumpy" fuze (with thanks to Waff) a replacement lifting eye after a bit of a re-tap she wound in lovely. To finish it off a good coat of Matt spray varnish and a coat of red oxide on the inside. Probably spent way more than it is worth, but that is not the point. A very enjoyable project and I think you will agree is now a respectable display piece maintaining its original look.

You have done a great job there Dan........very nice restoration and a worthy display.....you just need to fill it now.
Since your original post I have located a reference to the container type. It is a AB70-4 . The information comes from 'German Air-dropped weapons to 1945' by Wolfgang Fleischer. There are also some excellent photographs of a full container on page 108 !! I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in airdropped ordnance.

Thanks for showing the pics Dan
Kind regards Kev

Hi Kev, Just in time for the label! can now add that info, book sounds very good. Yes will probably start looking out for the odd Sd1, I don't have any at the mo!

Dan