What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 A Charge

satan18

Another unusual charge that has been cut quite neatly to
possibley gain access to the fuse,as it is very stuck in.

This will have to be welded back with a fresh fuse put back in,
as it has some lovely markings on the end.

Attachments

• Latest purchases 003.jpg
    Latest purchases 003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Latest purchases 005.jpg
    Latest purchases 005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 74
Phil,is this the rarer threaded version?

cheers

waff

Certainly is old mate and with the remains of the fuse now burned out with oxy acetylene it has the best threads i have seen in a while.

Hear is attached pici of the charge all put back together and primed.

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t best phil

Attachments

• SD2A charge 002.jpg
    SD2A charge 002.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SD2A charge 004.jpg
    SD2A charge 004.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 28
  • SD2A charge 005.jpg
    SD2A charge 005.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
Nice job Phil, very good.
I'm still quite low on the learning curve with butterfly bombs.
Would I be correct in saying that the ones with threads have the large wings that fold around the body and the ones with the bayonet type fittings have the cropped wings? I seem to come across a complete mix of bodies and wings for sale...........is it people mixing them up by mistake........or is it a case they orignaly used both types of wings with both types of fitting? There seem to be far more around with the complete wings than the cropped wings.
Dave.

Very good question Dave,
Phil,one for you i would have thought old chap? btw,Super restoration yet again!
best

waff

Nice job Phil, very good.
I'm still quite low on the learning curve with butterfly bombs.
Would I be correct in saying that the ones with threads have the large wings that fold around the body and the ones with the bayonet type fittings have the cropped wings? I seem to come across a complete mix of bodies and wings for sale...........is it people mixing them up by mistake........or is it a case they orignaly used both types of wings with both types of fitting? There seem to be far more around with the complete wings than the cropped wings.
Dave.

Hi Dave
Generally the bomb charges with the threads in would take the Zeit AZ 41
impact fuse,and would have the full drouge wing system,and be classed as
the SD2A.

I can only speculate that the SD2B was a modified version of the A and was made simpler by the introduction of the socket type bomb charge
and the Zeit AZ 41A fuse which would still use the full drouge wing system
but also be used for (cut down) wings and be able to take the 67 timed
delay fuse and the 70 marked anti disturbance fuse,which also used cut downs and full drouge wings.

I think this was done to minimise construction time and make assembly
a lot quicker.

I suspect that the german armourers would have used whatever they had more or less of,so theres no reason that it may be wrong if the parts appear to be incorrectly assembled but theres more fun in finding the bits
to put that right.

Best phil

Attachments

• SD2 Fuses 002.jpg
    SD2 Fuses 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 30
  • SD2 Fuses 001.jpg
    SD2 Fuses 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29