What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 A Restoration or leave as is

millsbomber

Premium Member
I would like all SD2 collectors to help me make a choice, the SD2 in question as picture, it has a made up fuse and been repainted badly the wings arming wire and body are in a very good condition apart from the paint, as collectors would you,,, A leave it as it is or B restore it with a correct fuse, please let me know what you think...... Dave

HPIM5969.jpg HPIM5970.jpg HPIM5971.jpg HPIM5972.jpg

HPIM5973.jpg HPIM5974.jpg

Very very nice Dave.
I'd take it back to metal if you're sure its a repaint. That's just my personal preference.
Dave.

I would take it back to the bare and leave it as it is.
Is that a training fuze/period blanking plate it has or a made up example ?

I would take it back to the bare and leave it as it is.
Is that a training fuze/period blanking plate it has or a made up example ?

I think its been added to sell it, i brought it years ago when all the SD2 fuses were hard to come by,,,,,, Dave

Tough one I think.

The fuze is obviously made up, and a replacement fuze would do the unit justice. But don't disregard the fuze (unless its to me....LOL !!!) , as you may find it to be a period piece, albeit crude in construction.

The thing to ask yourself with a re-paint is what do you want the finished unit to look like. Original as painted 70 years ago, or aged as it would be now. I have repainted some items and they still look obvious re-paints against the originals. The unit you have looks very good, the paint is aged, are you 100% sure it is a re-paint.....I have seen remnants of this buff colour on units before?

I will stand on the fence on this one as I dont wish to sway your discision in any way however I wish you luck with it whatever you decide to do........it certainly is a great SD2

regards Kev