What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 cut

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
A couple of months ago I made my first attempt at a cutaway on a type 41 fuze, having been inspired by members on this site. The initial cut, when blade met fuze was one of the hardest decisions to make, however, once I got started I really got into it and the finished fuze now stands proudly in my collection. The trouble is now, having done one cutaway, I find I have to lock away the hacksaw!!
However so impressed was I by a cutaway done by PzGr40 that I relented, and out came the hacksaw once again.
So here we have it, the finished product, but before you go to the pictures I'd just like to say a word of thanks to PzGr40 for e-mailing some pictures to me and for giving me the inspiration to do this cut- thanks DJH !
There are many more cutaways on the WK2Ammo site by DJH, he is a true master of the cutaway.

Cutaway of the SD2A (butterfly bomb)

HPIM4822.jpgHPIM4826.jpgHPIM4828.jpgHPIM4832.jpgHPIM4834.jpg

More pictures to follow

WELL DONE KEV.
THATS A FANTASTIC CUTAWAY.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.:tinysmile_grin_t:
I still have a few grenades to do but just cant seem to find the time. I'll have to have a go at the weekend i think.
Cheers, Paul.

Thankyou Waff.
I'm pleased with the results, its good to show just how thick the body of the bomb was, something you cannot see normally.
cheers
Kev

I've got just one word for your cutaway model: Perfect.:tinysmile_classes_t
Regards DJH

From yourself DJH that really is a compliment. However I can only take so much credit, it was your good self that designed the original cuts- I only tried to replicate what you had already acheived. The quater and half cuts of your example maximize the understanding of how this fuze works to great effect, I have seen none better.
regards
Kev

Good effort Kev, I'm well impressed, would love to have one like that in my collection, must dust off the saw but OH! Where to start??!

Dave.

Hi Butterfly,
To echo everybody else so far that is a lovely job. It is a really good idea to make two different cuts to show the body and fuze sectioned from different perspectives. you have finished it off to a high standard, did you use a foam block type substance as the explosive substitute ? i guess the two cut out pieces will sit back in place to make it look complete as well. Thank you for sharing it with us,
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Butterfly,
To echo everybody else so far that is a lovely job. It is a really good idea to make two different cuts to show the body and fuze sectioned from different perspectives. you have finished it off to a high standard, did you use a foam block type substance as the explosive substitute ? i guess the two cut out pieces will sit back in place to make it look complete as well. Thank you for sharing it with us,
Best regards Weasel.

Many thanks Weasel,
The explosive substitute is made from 3mm cardboard which is cut to form the shape. To that is glued sandpaper to get the texture, the whole lot being painted. [Again credit to DJH 'Pzgr40', this is his method-which I replicated in my example]. It is a great effect, solid, yet easy to remove or replace if neccessary, without any damage to the original artifact.

The two pieces of bomb body do fit back into place, however are a little smaller due to the cuts made. It is great to keep them with the piece as it gives further insight into the thickness of the body, also, I couldn't bring myself to put them for scrap!!!!

regards
Kev

Thankyou Phil,
Will look forward to seeing your cut when you've finished. Those bodies take some cutting through, sharp hacksaw blades needed!!
Cheers
Kev

That is very dangerous device.
Good work!
My applause mister Kamikadze! :)
Thanks a lot for great photos!!!!
May I expose this photos in my gallery for other guys Butterfly???

Eugene.

That is very dangerous device.
Good work!
My applause mister Kamikadze! :)
Thanks a lot for great photos!!!!
May I expose this photos in my gallery for other guys Butterfly???

Eugene.

Many thanks Eugene.

I feel I must make it clear to anyone attempting to do a cutaway. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT UNLESS YOU ARE 110% CERTAIN IT IS FREE OF ANY EXPLOSIVE MATERIAL. (or anything else for that matter) Study the object and know it inside out before doing anything!

Please note, all items within my collection are inert and are totally empty.

You may use the pictures I have posted Eugene, thankyou for asking.

Cheers Kev

Thankyou Phil,
Will look forward to seeing your cut when you've finished. Those bodies take some cutting through, sharp hacksaw blades needed!!
Cheers
Kev

Hi Kev
I am using a plasmer disc cutting wheel as the cut is just over 1mm and saves on the hacksaw marks and time on the hands:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Good result though mate

Best phil