What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Fuse Variants

satan18

Her are some of the fuses used in the SD2 butterfly bomb.

We have a zeit 41 AB/Impact and the 41A.

There is a zeit 41 training fuse in Brass,and the 70B2 anti disturbance fuse

And then there is the 67 timed delay fuse.

This 67 is my sectional one and it will tick but i am currently working
on a full bodied fuse that has a better ticking movement with nicer mechanicals

Attachments

• SD2 Bits 019.jpg
    SD2 Bits 019.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 108
  • SD2 Bits 020.jpg
    SD2 Bits 020.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 98
  • SD2 Bits 021.jpg
    SD2 Bits 021.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 96
  • SD2 Bits 022.jpg
    SD2 Bits 022.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 107
  • SD2 Bits 023.jpg
    SD2 Bits 023.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 89
Good line up with excellent write up and pics. Thank you Phil.
Nice brass training fuze there buddy...;)

best

waff

Good line up with excellent write up and pics. Thank you Phil.
Nice brass training fuze there buddy...;)

best

waff

Thanks Paul

I still like the old brass one and am going to make a timing screw for it:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Very nice set of fuzes you have there. You have just made me go green!! Fantastic 67 cutaway, it's been very well done, and a number 70 as well!!! Noticed the very unusual safety clip for the 41 fuze, not seen one of those before, any details on that? Did you find out any more details about the brass fuze, I'm curious?

Very nice set of fuzes you have there. You have just made me go green!! Fantastic 67 cutaway, it's been very well done, and a number 70 as well!!! Noticed the very unusual safety clip for the 41 fuze, not seen one of those before, any details on that? Did you find out any more details about the brass fuze, I'm curious?

Hi Mate

Thank you
I have been putting these bits together for a while and hadnt seen the safety clips before until one came attached to the fuse,and i thought it was a lump of crud stuck to it.The brass fuse was given to me by a good pal and i had to do some work on it to get it to that condition.
We have batted it about and can only sumise that training was its only purpose,as it is solid through out but does take a gaine.

The 67 was a good donar for cutting so i copied it from a genuine factory one.
The movement is a ticker so thought why not section it as then it can be seen for what it does.

The 70 was a stroke of luck which i will be leaving as is.

Glad u enjoyed

Best phil

Phil,if i remember correctly about the brass fuze,it was in the 'apple-core' sectioned SD2 body i have here.They also came with those wings that were covered in the mysterious 'gunk' you managed to clean off after a bit of hassle!:xd:
If the cut one i have was indeed a training aid/demo then that should explain the blank brass fuze?
Pic shown with the straight 41 screw-in fuze i put in.

best

waff

Attachments

• S7003424.jpg
    S7003424.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Phil,if i remember correctly about the brass fuze,it was in the 'apple-core' sectioned SD2 body i have here.They also came with those wings that were covered in the mysterious 'gunk' you managed to clean off after a bit of hassle!:xd:
If the cut one i have was indeed a training aid/demo then that should explain the blank brass fuze?
Pic shown with the straight 41 screw-in fuze i put in.

best

waff

Why they should have painted those wings and with what is a mystery,as all manor of paint removers could shift it,but light grit cleaning did to reveal one of the nicest sets of wings i have seen for a while.

Best phil

here's the list of US M83 fuzes

BUTTERFLY BOMB FUZES
The M129, M130, and M131 fuzes are of special design for use only in the body of the 4-lb. M83
"Butterfly" antipersonnel fragmentation bomb. The M129 fuze is essentially a combination time (air burst
mechanical clockwork) and impact fuze. The M130 fuze is a time (mechanical clockwork) fuze designed
to detonate at predetermined intervals of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 minutes depending upon the fuze
setting at manufacture. The M131 fuze is an antidisturbance fuze designed to detonate if, after impact, it
is disturbed in any way.
These fuzes are very similar in appearance; however, the M129 fuze can be identified by a selector
switch and the markings "GROUND" and "AIR" on the top surface of its cap. The M130 and M131 fuzes
are identical in external appearance when installed in the bomb.

M129

Thanks for the information Bombsaway1980.
Attached a few photos of an M129.
All inert etc.
Dave.

Attachments

• Fuze 001.jpg
    Fuze 001.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Fuze 002.jpg
    Fuze 002.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Fuze 003.jpg
    Fuze 003.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi
There is my SD2 fuze 70 A, and some info about them.
Alex

Attachments

• 70A.JPG
    70A.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Znder 70A.jpg
    Znder 70A.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 64
Hi Alex
The (70)A fuze is a very rare type.there are no known instances of this fuze being dropped on the UK
Steve

Brass AZ(41)

Im sure that the brass AZ(41) was made as a British training aid ! as we have a Brass (50)B Y fuze down at Brenzett Aeronautical museum , amongst a load of of donated bomb disposal equipment , from the Bomb disposal school at Chatham, i tried to photograph it but behind glass it wasnt possible

Fair comment on the 41 brass but the whole unit did come from a German dealer.

Quick question before i shoot off for the evening would be...How does anyone know that a 70A fuze was never dropped on the UK as most weapons surely detonated destroying evidence? Just a thought!
cheers

waff

Last edited:
Brass fuze

Hi Paul
Dont forget British bomb disposal was carried out in Germany , by all services , so its possible that this brought over there , by one of our units.

With regards to the (70)A when a new fuze was found or paperwork relating to a new type of Fuze it was listed and copies sent to the fuze committe , both here and in the states, it would be highly unlikely that a batch of SD2 had all functioned that had a (A) version as in most raids unexploded versions were found and their fuzes identified , or the containers were found nearby , often with what fuzes were fitted, marked on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! I have this execution in my collection! Thus all are complete. Harry

Attachments

• Bild 410.jpg
    Bild 410.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Bild 411.jpg
    Bild 411.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Bild 412.jpg
    Bild 412.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 49