What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2A Restoration

satan18

Hear are a couple more of my projects which are nearing completion.

The multi coloured SD2 is one i did earlier but needed to replace a wing for a better one.
I also had a new riveting tool that needed an airing,so i made the long rivets,and had a small stock of end paddle rivets that are 40+years old and fit as per originals.

The Bare metal one is the waffsters which is undergoing re juvenation.
It was as is and painted with ronseal or some hard baked paint,and needed
a full set of rivets.

After stripping back to bare and doing the pin work this one is a minter in the metal department,with only minor re dressing required.
It has the early bannana paddles with a very nice air scoop on each side of the paddles.

Back to bare metal for mine tommorow and both will be re painted.

Attachments

• SD2A  RESTORATION 001.jpg
    SD2A RESTORATION 001.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 65
  • SD2A  RESTORATION 002.jpg
    SD2A RESTORATION 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 60
  • SD2A  RESTORATION 003.jpg
    SD2A RESTORATION 003.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
oh-ho!!, Phil,you excell yet again old pal with great pics and a top write up. :)
Are they going in glorious green or yellow peril? Cant remember what we agreed?,but its up to you of course then the unit can join its sisters in the display room.
thanks again matey,keep us posted on your step-by-step SD restores!

cheers

waff

oh-ho!!, Phil,you excell yet again old pal with great pics and a top write up. :)
Are they going in glorious green or yellow peril? Cant remember what we agreed?,but its up to you of course then the unit can join its sisters in the display room.
thanks again matey,keep us posted on your step-by-step SD restores!

cheers

waff

Why thanky kindley:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I am going to do the early one or your one in plain green with no other stripes.
I have seen loads of pictures with no markings at all which being as this one even has some makers stamps on the paddles should be left subtle.
We do however need a screw fuse body and one of your nice 41s to make it whole again.

Best phil

Another realy cool projekt Satan18

Another realy cool restoring projekt satan i like all of your posts with restoring stuff !!

Well done go ahead !!

best regards David

nice work phil

thanks for the updates always a good read and bet you can't wait to get yours back waff ?

from bazooka chris

nice work phil

thanks for the updates always a good read and bet you can't wait to get yours back waff ?

from bazooka chris

Aye,a unit with 'cut-down' drouges coming too in the future as well!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Phil,i shall post a screw in 41 to you on Tuesday matey. Im off tomorrow on that pre-discussed mission ;)

W

Another realy cool restoring projekt satan i like all of your posts with restoring stuff !!

Well done go ahead !!

best regards David

Thank you David
I have a passion for SD2s as they were way ahead of there time and set the scene for anti personnel weapons for many years.

Best phil

nice work phil

from bazooka chris
Thanks Chris

I am nearly up to date with restos and just the smaller bits left now:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

SD 2 Disarming !!!

Is it right that specialy the SD2 are one of the dangerous bombs to disarmed during WW2 war time and the English and other countrys EODs are realy scared of this bombs and there are happen a lot of accidents during disarming ??
i only heard this storys but i dont know there are true ore not ??

best regards David

I reckon any anti-personel bomb would be a nightmare to dis-arm?
My pal from the army quoted " Nasty little f#ckers!" when he saw my inert ones in the collection.:s:

best

waff

Is it right that specialy the SD2 are one of the dangerous bombs to disarmed during WW2 war time and the English and other countrys EODs are realy scared of this bombs and there are happen a lot of accidents during disarming ??
i only heard this storys but i dont know there are true ore not ??

best regards David

Very True David

Although in early part of the war SD2s did kill and injure a lot of people
The Bomb disposal people on all sides did have a system of disposal for all of the types of SD2s being used.

The last person in the UK to be killed by one was in the 1950s.

Best phil

Fantastic work Phil, very impressive. Its good to see these things looking so good.

Dave.

A donor charge was placed on them and blown it wasnt safe to disarm if there were more than 1.5 threads visable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A donor charge was placed on them and blown it wasnt safe to disarm if there were more than 1.5 threads visable.

Very true Steve

Personaly i dont think i would have like to wound them back if any number of threads were showing although this was considered to be ok:eek:oh:

Best phil