What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd50 Case Restoration - Fuse

Rockteer

Hi,

An update on my Sd50 restoration. Work continues on the tail fin (see previous post) I have now removed the seized cheese head screws that secure the tail fin onto the collar of the bomb casing. Many of these had to be drilled and removed by easy outs. Some come out without any trouble but the threads had rusted away completely. I have now sourced some new stainless steel M6 cheese heads form Namrick which are spot on to the original (except for being stainless). I will start repairing the missing section of the tail fin collar or housing soon, but will be very experimental so will keep you posted. I have also gently heated the casing and manged to realign the spilt casing ready for the repair work (it was slightly proud of the rest of the casing). I was a bit nervous heating this up as being mag alloy it might have been liable to catching fire!

This evening after a lot of 'tickling' I have successfully got the fuse locking rings to screw down. I originally thought this was going to be impossible as the locking ring would not bite evenly at all. With some careful tickling of the thread she eventually went. I have to say the god send was Satan18's locking rings which acted as its own tap being made of toughned steel.

I am now deciding whether to paint the casing or leave as is? as yet no luft or date stamps but some further cleaning required and they may turn up. The next stage is to tap and fit the lifting eye. I hope to be able (with some help) to source a new base plug and nose blank which will conclude the casing.

More to follow soon.

Attachments

• DSCF5971.jpg
    DSCF5971.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF5972.jpg
    DSCF5972.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 74
Hi,

An update on my Sd50 restoration. Work continues on the tail fin (see previous post) I have now removed the seized cheese head screws that secure the tail fin onto the collar of the bomb casing. Many of these had to be drilled and removed by easy outs. Some come out without any trouble but the threads had rusted away completely. I have now sourced some new stainless steel M6 cheese heads form Namrick which are spot on to the original (except for being stainless). I will start repairing the missing section of the tail fin collar or housing soon, but will be very experimental so will keep you posted. I have also gently heated the casing and manged to realign the spilt casing ready for the repair work (it was slightly proud of the rest of the casing). I was a bit nervous heating this up as being mag alloy it might have been liable to catching fire!

This evening after a lot of 'tickling' I have successfully got the fuse locking rings to screw down. I originally thought this was going to be impossible as the locking ring would not bite evenly at all. With some careful tickling of the thread she eventually went. I have to say the god send was Satan18's locking rings which acted as its own tap being made of toughned steel.

I am now deciding whether to paint the casing or leave as is? as yet no luft or date stamps but some further cleaning required and they may turn up. The next stage is to tap and fit the lifting eye. I hope to be able (with some help) to source a new base plug and nose blank which will conclude the casing.

More to follow soon.

Nice one :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
I am glad to see the bomb progressing nicely.

Even the original locking rings i have and the repros can tend to fight there way in a little,but glad to see with a little fetteling you done it.

And as waff says next stop some base plugs to be done,which wont be to long now.

Keep us up to speed with the tails mate

Best phil

Hi,

Thanks for that Waff, will be nice to see that hole plugged! If it wasn't for posts like yours and Satan's and others with their restorations, I probably wouldn't have done as much with this example except perhaps a repaint, but I find other peoples posts really inspire me as I am sure it does with other people. When you have the back up of a community like this then anything is possible.

Question, what is chances of finding a fuse key? I think the fuse rings could do with a couple of extra turns as they have not fully locked the fuse in place but to do this I really need a descent fuse key. I could make one but was hoping someone may have already have been there and done that?

Hi,

Thanks for that Waff, will be nice to see that hole plugged! If it wasn't for posts like yours and Satan's and others with their restorations, I probably wouldn't have done as much with this example except perhaps a repaint, but I find other peoples posts really inspire me as I am sure it does with other people. When you have the back up of a community like this then anything is possible.

Question, what is chances of finding a fuse key? I think the fuse rings could do with a couple of extra turns as they have not fully locked the fuse in place but to do this I really need a descent fuse key. I could make one but was hoping someone may have already have been there and done that?

Its always nice to get an original locking ring key,but its even better to copy an original and use it instead.

They arnt all that hard to copy,and you dont mind using it.

Best phil

Rockteer,
Thanks for those very kind words in post#4 mate,its good to know that someone appreciates the efforts put into sourcing,restoring and showing items. :)
I enjoy helping out fellow collectors when i can especially when they are 'into' the same items i enjoy.
Im sure Phil appreciates those words also as he puts an enormous effort into his projects.

best

waff

Hi Rockteer,
Thanks for showing us your hard work, projects like this one take alot of time and effort to get right. And this one looks to be shaping up really well nice one to Waff and Phill for helping out as well, it's great when people can get their heads together to help a fellow member out. Please keep us informed on how this project continues.
Best regards Weasel.