What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd50 fuse thread question

Rockteer

Hi,

Work continues on the Sd50 but have reached a stumbling block. I received some beautiful fuse rings from Satan18. My problem is that the thread on the casing is past redemption. The fuse ring takes about 2 threads and then jams solid. I have used oil and WD40 but the thread is so damaged and corroded that it binds up. I have removed all rust and dirt but still no joy.

My question is, I was thinking of dropping some weld around the broken down thread then inserting a new thread. The problem is that I am finding that a suitable tool for this is being quoted at well over 200! Does anyone have any ideas or access to the tool I need, perhaps someone on this forum has come across this before? I am sure it is a common problem. HELP!!!

I too had that problem with damaged threads , but i was lucky a friend made the locking rings out of hardenend steel , knowing i was probably going to have a problem , with the threads , which after a bit of a fiddle worked perfectly, ask Satan if he could make them out of hardened steeel would be the best way. Or you may get away with just repairing the threads with a Thread file ,a lot cheaper than 200